[SOLVED] VPN broke in Tara

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeenuv
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] VPN broke in Tara

Post by jeenuv »

Hi,

I just upgraded to Tara from 18.3. Almost everything works fine except that I'm unable to connect to work VPN. I'm not that literate on networking, but I'll try to explain:

I've been using a Python wrapper to openconnect (from https://github.com/russdill/juniper-vpn-py/), which used to work perfectly fine. When I run the command now, I can clearly see that /usr/share/vpnc-scripts/vpnc-script is being invoked in phases--pre-init, and then connect. One of the last steps in connect phase is:

Code: Select all

nameserver IP_ADDRESS1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
nameserver IP_ADDRESS2
domain <company_domain1> <company_domain2> ...
piped to the command

Code: Select all

/sbin/resolvconf -a tun0
From what I see, this gets stuck, and the command doesn't return. I verified this by placing an echo immediately afterwards, which never gets printed. FWIW, the interface tun0 does exist.

While it's stuck at this command, my while Internet is broken. I.e., I can't visit any websites, presumably because of the botched up name resolution.

We also have a Pulse client, and it's the same effect when I use that--I can see /etc/resolv.conf having the same name server IP addresses as with the Python wrapper above. This makes me think that there's something not right with the distribution itself. Also, I ran the exact Python wrapper from an Ubuntu 18.04 VM, and that worked absolutely fine.

Please can anyone give me any hint as to how to debug this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jeenuv
Level 2
Level 2

Re: VPN broke in Tara

Post by jeenuv »

After some comparison with what goes on in Ubuntu 18.04 VM, I noticed that the vpnc-script chooses to modify the /etc/resolv.conf directly rather than executing /sbin/resolvconf. The script does this as a fallback if it can't find /sbin/resolvconf. That cued me to uninstall resolvconf package from my machine, and voila, it's started working again!

I'm not sure why the resolvconf command would hang. I don't think I know enough to fix it, but if anyone fancy investigating, I'm happy to give details.

Return to “Networking”