Setting up a server

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Setting up a server

Post by WHVW »

Hi All:

This is something I have been procrastinating about for years. Sooner or later, I knew I would need to do it. Well, later is now sooner.
Here's what I think I need to do to accomplish setting up a server. Please let me know where I've headed down the wrong track. (probably everywhere)
First, get a computer and install Linux Server. (downloadable here?)
Then give your nameservers a name,
Next, point your domain name to those nameservers on the static IP address you're using,
(it would seem logical to use that IP address only for that)
Install your site files in the normal way.
I would think that it would be best to "bounce" your e-mails through a major site to take advantage of their spam filtering ( which I presume would be too expensive and labour intensive for an individual to deal with.

Have I got the basic ideas right? Or, are there many other things I need to do? Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Setting up a server

Post by ajgringo619 »

Could you give more details on exactly what you are trying to accomplish with your server? You can basically create a "server" out of any Linux distro, provided you install/configure the proper software; some have been streamlined for this function (no GUI, limited apps, etc.).
Then give your nameservers a name
Next, point your domain name to those nameservers on the static IP address you're using,
Does this mean you want to install DNS?
Install your site files in the normal way.
Are you talking about file sharing? Linux-to-Linux or Linux-to-Windows, or both?
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Hi: ajgringo619

Here is what I am trying to do: The server which I had been using became unavailable. I used to upload the site files to it via FTP to a directory that had been placed there for me by the administrator. While my site has about 70 pages, it is simple, basically static, text and pictures with no animations or video. Probably under 300 MB. I might as well use it for e-mail, too and be done with 25 MB file send limits.
Go Daddy is my registrar, so it would seem that I could point the domains to my little server the same way I did with my previous host.

I'm trying to get the specific knowledge of how to create and configure my server so that when I point the domains to it everything will work. I'll get a workable computer and perhaps its own IP address, after all, it seems senseable to keep it on a separate IP address, (meaning away from other stuff).

That's about it, rather simple, basic, low GB stuff.

Thanks
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I would probably start with installing Apache and configuring it as a local-access-only server, just until you get used to how it works. I've used Postfix in the past for email, but it's been ages since I've set it up and that was only for forwarding admin mail to my work account via the company's SMTP gateway.

Return to “Networking”