<Solved: Question answered> Is SAMBA really needed?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

<Solved: Question answered> Is SAMBA really needed?

Post by lsemmens »

I may be mistooken but, I thought that SAMBA was only there to allow file sharing with Windows or the like? If my entire network is Linux, do I need it to enable file sharing? Linux tells me to install it when I attempt to set my shares.

So, simple questions. Do I need SAMBA?

If not, how do I set up file shares w/o it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is SAMBA really needed?

Post by altair4 »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 am I may be mistooken but, I thought that SAMBA was only there to allow file sharing with Windows or the like?
Unfortunately that mistaken belief is also shared by the folks that put together most Linux Desktop distributions. It's not true but no amount of facts can persuade them otherwise. The irony here is that the way Samba has evolved to this point it basically only works seamlessly in an all Linux / macOS network. If you are using Ubuntu 17.10 or beyond or anything derived from it ( Like Mint 19 ) all you have to do is install the samba package, share a folder, and all the other Linux / macOS machines will see your machine.

Anyhoo, Samba is not the only way. There is also SSH. Wanna quick HowTo applicable to a home network?

[1] On all your Linux machines install ssh:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ssh
[2] On machineB open your file manager and access machineA this way:

ssh://machineA.local
sftp://machineA.local if you are using KDE

You will get a nasty looking dialog box that looks like an error message. Just select Log In Anyway

If you want to get fancy shmancy you can add an avahi service file to all your systems so that the machines show up automatically under "Network" in your file manager:

** Create a file in all your Linux systems at: /etc/avahi/services/ssh.service

** With this content:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?>
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
   <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h SSH</name>
   <service>
       <type>_sftp-ssh._tcp</type>
       <port>22</port>
   </service>
</service-group>
Now when say ... machineB opens his file manager and goes to "Network" he will see machineA SSH

There is also something called NFS which is the darling of the Linux Silverbacks. They argue that it is the only system you should use in what they refer to as "UNIX like" networks. It's purported to be faster, more in line with unix permisions and other POE ( purity of essence ) qualities that can endow its users with almost mystical powers that will make it so you never get sick, grow old, or die. NFS is something I cannot help you with. I used to use it myself but it's literally been decades.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Is SAMBA really needed?

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks for that Altair4. It seems that Samba is the simplest for the average noddy. I just don't believe in loading my system up with unnecessary "utilities" if I can avoid it. It sounds like no matter what i do I am going to need another layer, so I shall use Samba as I have used it when I had Windows on some machines. I'll flag it as solved, Question answered.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Networking”