Reconnect after VPN Fail

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansa123
Level 1
Level 1

Reconnect after VPN Fail

Post by hansa123 »

Hey,
got a Linux Mint 19 XFCE x64 machine here. I got a problem with my OpenVPN. I loaded a config file as suggested by my VPN service and the VPN works perfectly. The problem is when the VPN fails: Mint then reconnects automatically without the VPN, which is potentially dangerous (regular IP visible). I cannot predict when the VPN fails and therefore cannot reproduce this. Can someone check if they got the same issue? On my old Linux Mint 18 machine, when the VPN fails, any connection is just blocked, which I would want here as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RobertoR

Re: Reconnect after VPN Fail

Post by RobertoR »

Is the situation that you still have internet connection when you VPN connection is down, and because of that leak your IP and send data unencrypted over the internet?

I found the best way to use a firewall that only allows traffic VPN traffic (tun+) and traffic from and to your VPN server!
In that case... when your VPN connection is down no traffic is allowed.

Return to “Networking”