Only One way connection available.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Only One way connection available.

Post by lsemmens »

Further to my question re:SAMBA which was answered more than adequately by altair4. I have installed Samba and enabled file sharing between two of my machines. BOTH running Mint19 both using the same UID and Password. I have set up sharing of my "Documents" folder on my laptop. On my server I can see that folder and do the usual within it. I have also set up shares on the server so that I can access those, BUT..... Laptop can see those shares but get a permission denied error whenever I try to log in either as a registered user or anonymous.
Can anyone please explain why, when both machines are running identical configurations and (AFAIK) identical permissions on all shared devices.

My process on both machines was as follows.

Right Click on the Drive/Folder that I want to share (initially let Linux install SAMBA followed by re-boot)
Select Properties Share tab
Turn on Share this folder
Left share name as default
Checked both allow others.... ad guest access
On the Permissions tab Owner is set to leigh (the only difference is laptop is set to "leigh-leigh" - THIS works)
Group on both machines is leigh
Folder access for all is set to Create and Delete
And file access for all is read and write
Permissions were set to enclosed FIles

As I noted the ONLY difference is the Owner on the laptop and I can see it's files across the network. Why it is set to leigh-leigh has me baffled as I don't recall setting it that way.
What have I missed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Only One way connection available.

Post by lsemmens »

After a bit of stuffing around and searching I found that by adding
comment = Anonymous share access
path = /shares/anonymous
browsable = yes
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no
force user = nobody
force group = nogroup
to the end of my smb.conf file on the "server" it started working as I needed it to. i.e. unlimited access to the appropriate folders.
I'd still like to know why I needed this on the server, but not on my laptop, both config files were identical until I added the above.

credit to here for the above code
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Networking”