[SOLVED] linux mint 19 samba woes

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minty_64
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] linux mint 19 samba woes

Post by Minty_64 »

so I had a computer die recently and I had everything working perfectly on it, the hard drive was still okay so all my files where safe and I bought a new computer. anyway it's been a while since I messed with samba and troubleshot a problem in linux mint so here is my problem: I can't get my linux mint 19 computer to even see my windows 10 computer and the windows 10 computer can see the mint computer but cannot connect.

I have messed with the smb.conf file with the help of forums on the net to no avail, any help would be appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used in creating them - Albert Einstein
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: linux mint 19 samba woes

Post by altair4 »

For the can't see the Win10 machine issue you may be in a paradox:
Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes
Samba and Windows 10

For the cannot conect to the Linux machine I have no idea how you set up your shares. Why not post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Minty_64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minty_64 »

testparm -s

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[share]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
	dns proxy = No
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	map to guest = Bad User
	max log size = 1000
	name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	security = USER
	server role = standalone server
	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
	syslog = 0
	unix password sync = Yes
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
	browseable = No
	comment = All Printers
	create mask = 0700
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[share]
	path = /home/name/share
	read only = No
	valid users = sambaguest
net usershare info --long
comes up empty
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used in creating them - Albert Einstein
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Nothing wrong with your smb.conf assuming:

** smbguest is an actual user name on the Linux box
** and you added it to the samba password database ( as in sudo smbpasswd -a smbguest ).
** and the Linux permissions on the /home/name/share folder allow access to that user.
** and you didn't do anything funky in /etc/samba/smbusers.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Minty_64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minty_64 »

yeah, I had a set up already running with 18.3 which was upgraded since 17 on the computer that died, but this is a fresh install so who knows what I'm missing and that was years ago that I got it running.

its a name on the box
added a password
has access
haven't touched /etc/samba/smbusers.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Then there is no reason why Win10 cannot access it. What is the error message?
Minty_64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minty_64 »

so now i can see the windows 10 machine thanks to the link altair4 gave me however I can't access the computer as the connection times out, that means neither machine can contact either machine and both time out, but now the see each other it's is progress.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you can see the Win10 machine in your file manager you will not be able to connect to it. Linux will use SMB1 to "see" the other machines but WIn10 disabled SMB1.

If you can't see the Win10 machine you will be able to connect to it but you have to do it explicitly in your file manager by name ( smb://win10-host-name ) , it's mDNS host name ( smb://win10-host-name.local) or by ip address ( smb://192.168.0.100 ).

This is the paradox that I mentioned before.

And remember Win10 can always access a Linux box by it's mDNS name. So on Win10 access your Mint machine with a:
\\mint-host-name.local
Minty_64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minty_64 »

"check the spelling of the name" and asks to diagnose or cancel, diagnosing does nothing.

oh okay so what you are saying is i need to connect manually instead of clicking on things

Return to “Networking”