Linux Mint 19 / OpenVPN: The vpn connection "xyz" failed because the vpn service stopped unexpectedly

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dream Sequencer

Linux Mint 19 / OpenVPN: The vpn connection "xyz" failed because the vpn service stopped unexpectedly

Post by Dream Sequencer »

Hi,

I was using Linux Mint 18 with OpenVPN for years now.

Now I upgraded to Mint 19, used the same OpenVPN config files but I get a little message window saying
The VPN connection "xyz" failed because the vpn service stopped unexpectedly
instantly after trying to establish the connection from the network manager.

I tried to add my user to the group "nm-openvpn", but that didn't help.

I have now found out that I could do this workaround:

Code: Select all

sudo openvpn --config "/etc/openvpn/myconfigfile.ovpn"
but then I don't see the little lock icon in the network manager.

I have no idea, why this isn't working anymore. I remember working with OpenVPN under Linux Mint 17 was complicated too. Unter 18, everything was easy and intuitive. I just don't understand why this is so damn difficult in Linux to remain user friendly. Even on Windows (though I need an OpenVPN client), it's working easily.

Is there a way to enable OpenVPN from the network manager like it was in Linux Mint 18?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dream Sequencer

Re: Linux Mint 19 / OpenVPN: The vpn connection "xyz" failed because the vpn service stopped unexpectedly

Post by Dream Sequencer »

Thanks a lot.

I did not have the exact same problem, but at least it lead to a solution.

Return to “Networking”