[Solved] VPN Problematic with some websites!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meander
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] VPN Problematic with some websites!

Post by Meander »

I have a few VPN services, they work mostly great on my TARA installation but (while on VPN) I can't open some websites i.e. youtube, quora, etc. smoothly, meaning that most of the times I must refresh the page 5 or more times to get it to connect, but other websites work flawless. what can be the cause of the problem? because those same VPN services work on my other devices like android, iOS, Windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: VPN Problematic with some websites!

Post by catweazel »

Meander wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:47 pm I have a few VPN services, they work mostly great on my TARA installation but (while on VPN) I can't open some websites i.e. youtube, quora, etc. smoothly, meaning that most of the times I must refresh the page 5 or more times to get it to connect, but other websites work flawless. what can be the cause of the problem? because those same VPN services work on my other devices like android, iOS, Windows.
To determine if the problem is with your VPN provider, you're going to have to do some testing without the VPN on those sites.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meander »

catweazel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 pm To determine if the problem is with your VPN provider, you're going to have to do some testing without the VPN on those sites.
without VPN, with TOR browser and with socks proxy I tested and works fine.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Meander wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:21 am
catweazel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 pm To determine if the problem is with your VPN provider, you're going to have to do some testing without the VPN on those sites.
without VPN, with TOR browser and with socks proxy I tested and works fine.
Ok, now try with just the VPN. No TOR browser and no socks proxy.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meander »

Ok, now try with just the VPN. No TOR browser and no socks proxy.
as I told before, only the VPN is problematic.
Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] VPN Problematic with some websites!

Post by Meander »

I think this problem is due to DNS leak I have detected on my system.
sammartin8935

Post by sammartin8935 »

have you tried using a different VPN instead? Also, a desktop VPN functionality differs from Android or iOS VPN functionality. What VPN are you using? VPNs are supposed to unblock websites. Strange. Try contacting their Support.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Meander,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I do not see how a DNS leak when connected to a VPN server is the cause of your described issues unless your ISP is the problem. Have you changed your local ISP connection's DNS Server IP addresses to those from a secure DNS provider like CloudFlare, dns.watch, opennic, openDNS, etc...? If not, I would highly recommend that you do so now.

Setup Guide | OpenDNS
- for Linux Mint desktop, click link below, click computers, scroll down to LinuxMint or Ubuntu and follow the instructions. You can use any DNS provider's server IP addresses including OpenDNS servers. CloudFLare (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1) claims to be the fastest and most secure now.
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

CloudFlare DNS
For IPv4: 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1
For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111,2606:4700:4700::1001

It could also be the VPN provider you are using may be having issues. Is this just a recent occurrence or has this been going on for awhile? Have you tried another VPN server from your VPN provider? Have you tried using another VPN provider's servers even temporarily to see if that works better? You might consider trying one of the free VPN providers like "vpnbook" or "vpngate" to see if the problem persists.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Just use the https://1.1.1.1/ DNS.
Meander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meander »

Thanks for your delightful answers. it is a bit late but wanted to share.
I use OpenVPN and services like NordVPN, the problem was due to DNS leak which Linux Mint has and it caused problem. the problem was in spite of using VPN, some websites that were blocked on the network I were at still wouldn't work. changing the DNS to something like OpenDNS solves the problem entirely.
people should know that by using a VPN they are not fully safe, the DNS easily gives your IP away.

Return to “Networking”