NordVPN confused

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andyhasit
Level 1
Level 1

NordVPN confused

Post by andyhasit »

I signed up to NordVPN about a year ago, set myself up, and checked that it was working by visiting a site which detects my IP address, but haven't been using it that much. I normally connect to the VPN by toggling it from the connections pop up drawer that lists all the networks, and hey presto.

Today I wanted to use it, so I toggled the connection and it showed with a dot next to it (which to me indicates that it is active) then thought I'd just double check my IP address changed, and discovered it hadn't changed.

On closer inspection, it tries to connect, then disconnects, meaning some settings are wrong somewhere.

So the last however many times I thought I was using VPN, I actually wasn't. It's just as well I'm not hiding anything serious, but my beef is this: if people use VPN for pretty serious reasons like personal safety, then surely an OS that doesn't visibly warn you that your VPN has dropped/is not active AND just falls back to a default connection, is a serious risk!

The simple behaviour I want, which I believe to be a reasonable expectation is: "when I activate a vpn connection, disable any non-vpn connections until manually renabled. If the vpn connection fails, visibly inform me and ask me what I want to do, but DO NOT EVER silently fall back to non-vpn connection as this is a severe security risk"

Is there any way I can achieve this? And anyway this can be made the default behaviour because it makes sense to me. Agree/disagree?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: NordVPN confused

Post by sgtor »

I don't know how the nordvpn app works but the private internet access app has an option in the settings for a killswitch. If the connection drops then the killswitch activates.
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snafu »

I don't know how the nordvpn app works but the private internet access app has an option in the settings for a killswitch. If the connection drops then the killswitch activates.
Nord has this feature but it is only available in their app and they don't have a Linux app yet. (one is in development)
If Nord drops or fails to connect it tells you so in a notification pop-up but if you're not looking at the screen when that appears I guess It's easy to miss. A successful connection changes your network icon in the panel, depending on what theme you are using usually by adding a padlock.
I suggest searching bind9 in these forums. Adding that stopped DNS leaks for me.
When all else fails follow the instructions
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I get the Notification Popup also, as you said, they don't have a Linux app, but are supposed to be working on one.
I have their Android App on my cellphone.

on my laptop, I just click on the connection that I want, and it automatically turns on VPN and logs into their system.
I setup two connections so I can move around, IP wise.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
andyhasit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyhasit »

Thanks for the replies, interesting to hear about the app, slightly worrying they didn't prioritise a Linux app...
andyhasit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyhasit »

Quick update: NordVPN now have a native app for Linux, which is meant to be the best way to connect.

So I installed it, try running, and it says:
It seems there's an issue with the config file ("/home/andrew/.config/nordvpn/config") permissions. If the issue persists, please contact our customer support.
I managed to bypass this by manually creating the directory ~/.config/nordvpn --great coding there!

Anyway, using the app, I was able to connect, however I still have no visual cue to tell me whether I am or am not connected to VPN.

Return to “Networking”