Openvpn does not work in my new Mint 19

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alex54

Openvpn does not work in my new Mint 19

Post by Alex54 »

Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum and I apologize for my bad English (I'm Italian).
I have been using Mint for many years (about 15 years), and have been a premium Purevpn customer for 5 years, using their guide:

https://support.purevpn.com/openvpn-con ... linux-mint

I have always installed their VPN with Openvpn, after doing a new installation of Mint 19, the usual configuration of Openvpn does not work anymore
I receive an immediate warning of "VPN connection failed".
I do not know if the same problem has been found by other users (probably also with Ubuntu 18.04) and if there is any workaround.
I have contacted Purevpn's assistance in the chat, but they tell me that it is a known problem, to the attention of their technicians, looking for a solution quickly.
I do not know if even in this forum there are friends with similar problems.
Greetings to everyone.
I await your possible consideration and suggestion.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rosykelvin

Re: Openvpn does not work in my new Mint 19

Post by rosykelvin »

Hey Alex, I would suggest you to try another VPN app for Linux mint 19. I am not sure if it works fine for this updated release but I have used it with earlier versions of linux and it worked fine with the OpenVPN/UDP protocol. Here is the guide from Ivacy: https://support.ivacy.com/kb/how-to-set ... inux-mint/
Alex54

Post by Alex54 »

Thank you very much Rosykelvin, for your kind suggestion.
Tonight, when I finish my job, I will certainly test my home computer.
I will be communicating the results in this forum by tomorrow.

Best wishes. :)
Alex54

Post by Alex54 »

So ... I successfully rehearsed! :D
Thanks to Rosy's suggestion, I looked for directions to create a PPTP VPN on the Purevpn site, in fact there are some small configuration changes:

https://support.purevpn.com/pptp-config ... for-ubuntu

This done I connected correctly.

Of course, the security standard offered by a PPTP VPN is much lower than a VPN made in OpenVPN, but for now I am content, waiting for someone to find a solution to this annoying bug concerning Mint 19 and Ubuntu 18.04.

I do not add "SOLVED" to the thread title because the problem with OpenVPN remains.

Greetings to everyone.
Alex54

Post by Alex54 »

Hello guys,
I feel the need to inform all those who, like me, use Mint 19 and Purevpn, which had recently created a program for linux (64 and 32 bit) also in .deb format, which works perfectly with CLI.
Now I have no more problems using protocols with a high security index. :D :twisted:

See you soon

Return to “Networking”