Networking Multiple LM Machines for File Sharing ..

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spud1200

Networking Multiple LM Machines for File Sharing ..

Post by Spud1200 »

At the minute I'm currently using LM 18.3 because its the most stable version of the 18 series. I was curious if anyone could help with a few questions about Networking and if the likes of Samba is necessary . Do I need to install Samba when wanting to set up two or more systems on LM 18.3 .

When I have set up file sharing in LM I have followed guides ect: but have set up the likes of Samba password the CLI . I also have noticed that in the networking folders their are the Names of my machines but also SMB folders for that machine.

In the past I have followed this guide:
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482

Is this still applicable for the 18.3 release of LM .

I can browse folders Okay but I have had major problems with qBittorrent and downloading to a networked drive. Is their any ways I can simply boot the systems or network and select the network folder in what to download with in the GUI UI of qBittorrent. I keep getting I\O error messages and I'm not sure if its a permission problem or a Samba problem. I am able to see in the UI of the qBittorrent my network folders but downloading just results in error messages.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Networking Multiple LM Machines for File Sharing ..

Post by catweazel »

Spud1200 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:51 pm At the minute I'm currently using LM 18.3 because its the most stable version of the 18 series. I was curious if anyone could help with a few questions about Networking and if the likes of Samba is necessary . Do I need to install Samba when wanting to set up two or more systems on LM 18.3 .
Samba is only necessary for supporting Windwoes Home. Most recent versions of Windwoes Pro and Enterprise also support NFS. For a linux only network there is no need to use Samba, which doesn't enforce all linux permissions anyway. I recommend that you take a look at NFS.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Networking”