Mint 19 Mate Windows shares not in File Manger[FIXED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wdrcczar

Mint 19 Mate Windows shares not in File Manger[FIXED]

Post by wdrcczar »

I'm new to the forum, newish to Linux Mint; I'm far more familiar with Windows. I have several computers in my home, 4 windows computers and 2 Linux systems. The other Linux system I have 18 Mate installed on.
I installed 19 Mate on a laptop yesterday. I can not get the windows computers to show up under the networking section of the file manager. My installation of 18 Mate does not have this same issue, I don't remember that being any issue. I can see all my windows computers on the 18 Mate installation
I have read the other posts in this forum, more on Google and followed their instructions, but no luck. Here's the TL/DR of steps I've taken:
Added following lines in /etc/samba/smb.conf file under Global:
workgroup = WORKGROUP
client max protocol = NT1
netbios name = MikeLaptop
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
Verified netbios = yes on Windows system
verified workgroup on Windows system
copied the smb.conf file from the working system and added the above lines under global
removed and reinstalled all the samba packages
added smbclient package
added user in smbpasswd file
disabled firewall on both systems

I can ping any of the ip addresses of the windows machines and they respond.
I can add any of the windows machines using caja smb://ip-address.
I can Connect to Server through the file manager using Windows Share and IP address
I have an external HD in a usb port of my router, if i run smbclient -L ip-address for that device I don't get any errors. Running the same command for a windows machine will show me the available shares and give me an error:
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.
Connection to 192.168.1.XX failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
Failed to connect with SMB1 -- no workgroup available
I have not found any other things to try to get this to work, hoping someone has a great idea I haven't seen.
Thank you in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wdrcczar

Re: Mint 19 Mate Windows shares not in File Manger

Post by wdrcczar »

[UPDATE] It started working on its own after a couple of hours of doing unrelated tasks. No reboots, restarts or anything else that would affect it. I was chasing a Nvida gremlin and noticed is was now working.
I have to assume the fix is to post a question to the forums.
wdrcczar

Re: Mint 19 Mate Windows shares not in File Manger

Post by wdrcczar »

This thread is getting some views, so hopefully this detail helps someone out. This is the first place to start:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=270442

If this doesn't solve your issue, follow this process also:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146

If is still doesn't work after following these, I would suggest posting in the forum :D . Worked for me.

Return to “Networking”