Switching between Ethernet and Wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
happyamos

Switching between Ethernet and Wireless

Post by happyamos »

Something has changed in one of the last few updates. I used to be able to shut off my wifi, and plug my ethernet cable into my laptop and it would automagically switch to my ethernet connection. For some reason, it doesn't any more, and if I want to switch to ethernet, I have to plug the cable in, turn off wifi and reboot the computer. Is there an easier way to do this that doesn't involve rebooting the computer when I just want to switch connections?

This has happened to me on Mint Cinnamon and Mint XFCE (18.3 and 19), but all my systems are now on Mint XFCE 19.

Thank you in advance for any tips!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Switching between Ethernet and Wireless

Post by kyphi »

In Cinnamon, you can switch between ethernet (if connected via a cable) and wifi with a left click on the Nerwork Manager icon on the panel. The choices present in the popup menu.
Tried with my laptop connected via ethernet cable.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Switching between Ethernet and Wireless

Post by BG405 »

Hi, could you post the output of lspci -k | grep Ethernet -A2 & inxi -Fxz please?

Have you tried sudo systemctl restart network-manager.service as this might restore connectivity without rebooting. I'll add further info when I know the Ethernet card details.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Networking”