Why AFS for NAS shares? Why does NFS not work?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JowiKrause
Level 1
Level 1

Why AFS for NAS shares? Why does NFS not work?

Post by JowiKrause »

Hi. I have installed 19 Cinnamon on my system. Then I tried to open the WDMyBook NAS I have, going through 'Network'. This keeps opening the NAS as afs://, which is restrictive and undesired. Why is this the default?
I have not activated this service on the NAS, but I have activated NFS, which would be my preferred system, preferred over SMB. However, I cannot get this to work. If I I add the NFS mounts in the fstab, the computer does not start anymore until I deactivate those entries in the fstab.
Is this a specific Mint19 problem? NFS worked fine on 18.3, and I never saw that 'afs stuff'.
Do I have to install NFS first, is it not available by default?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why AFS for NAS shares? Why does NFS not work?

Post by catweazel »

JowiKrause wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:42 am Hi. I have installed 19 Cinnamon on my system. Then I tried to open the WDMyBook NAS I have, going through 'Network'. This keeps opening the NAS as afs://, which is restrictive and undesired. Why is this the default?
This would be a problem with your NAS, not Mint. Mint is only seeing what the NAS is providing.

https://jonathansblog.co.uk/make-your-a ... responsive

http://shanbpel.blogspot.com/2013/05/ho ... fs-in.html

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603439
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JowiKrause
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JowiKrause »

Thank you, Catweazel!
I have checked the links you gave me but they did not really help me. But I have tried further to get my shares mounted. Partially I have managed to mount my external NAS drives, though some issues remain to puzzle me. But I will write another post about that.
My questions here were :
a) Does Mint Cinnamon come with NFS pre-installed? Obviously that is not the case. I only got the NFS mounts to work after getting nfs-common etc installed.
b) Where does the default switch for opening shares in AFS come from and how can I stop this? Here your idea was that it is introduced by the NAS, but I rule that out: Under Mint 18.3 I used the same NAS and never saw the AFS system working. And the WDMyBook offers the option to activate NFS and FTP access, but there is no mention of AFS anywhere. Could it be some parameter in the NEMO file manager that comes preinstalled in Cinnamon 19? Where could that be? Or should I just use another file manager - which one?
Thanks again!
Jowi
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon 64bit on Desktop, Linux Mint 18.3KDE on Laptop. Happy user since 2010, but occasional problems still occur...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

b) Where does the default switch for opening shares in AFS come from and how can I stop this?
Nemo is reflecting under Network all of the services on the network that are "registered" or broadcast by their servers.

Apparently your NAS enables AFP by default. There's a way in Linux to confirm that. In a terminal run this command:

Code: Select all

avahi-browse -at | grep IPv4
Do you get a reference listing the host name of the NAS and "Apple File Sharing"? If you do the NAS is set up to broadcast to the network that it is an AFP server. It probably does that as a fallback for older MacBooks since macOS defaults to SMB today.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”