Some websites blocked despite vpn?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Some websites blocked despite vpn?

Post by Carl »

So this is a little confusing...

I use a vpn to to mask my internet browsing however sometimes despite using a vpn access to some websites is still blocked :?: which concerns me that perhaps my connection isn't as secure as I first thought :/ for instance at home we have some websites blocked because we have visitors and instead of going through the hassle of unblocking them I will just connect to a vpn to access them however sometimes it will still say "access to ... denied" until I switch to a different country or server :? could someone try and explain why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Some websites blocked despite vpn?

Post by catweazel »

Carl wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:59 pm So this is a little confusing...

I use a vpn to to mask my internet browsing however sometimes despite using a vpn access to some websites is still blocked :?: which concerns me that perhaps my connection isn't as secure as I first thought :/ for instance at home we have some websites blocked because we have visitors and instead of going through the hassle of unblocking them I will just connect to a vpn to access them however sometimes it will still say "access to ... denied" until I switch to a different country or server :? could someone try and explain why?
This is probably something you need to take up with your VPN provider.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

quite often, hackers will use a vpn connection to keep their own IP from being blocked.

and the IP address will be blocked, I have run into this on occasion and it is easier to just choose a different vpn server and move on.

Also, have your verified that IPv6 is turned OFF on your computer?
even though you are using a vpn, if IPv6 is on, it is detected at your local ISP location.

this bugged me a lot until I figured it out, so now I just make it a point to always keep IPv6 is OFF

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 pm quite often, hackers will use a vpn connection to keep their own IP from being blocked.

and the IP address will be blocked, I have run into this on occasion and it is easier to just choose a different vpn server and move on.

Also, have your verified that IPv6 is turned OFF on your computer?
even though you are using a vpn, if IPv6 is on, it is detected at your local ISP location.

this bugged me a lot until I figured it out, so now I just make it a point to always keep IPv6 is OFF
Thanks AZgl1500, I've just set IPV6 to "Ignore" in the wifi connection settings and so far it does seem to be working, do you know why it seems IPV6 allows my ISP to still block websites? does it leak traffic information? :shock:

**EDIT**

I spoke to soon, not the reason :| I think you might be right with your first answer that the website or service has blocked the vpn's IP addresses...

Return to “Networking”