[Solved] Network dropped connection on reset error

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eightwt
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Network dropped connection on reset error

Post by eightwt »

I'm using an Acer Aspire v3 112p laptop. When I try to move or copy a large file > 500K from the laptop to a HDD that's set up as a ReadyShare drive on my Netgear router I get this message: "there was an error copying the file into smb://USB_Storage/whatever -- Network dropped connection on reset." Moving any file from the ReadyShare drive to the laptop presents no problems.

I'm running Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon with kernel 4.18.3 (though this happens no matter what kernel I use). It is a full install, not an upgrade. I have used many versions of Mint and never had this problem before. Today I figured out if I boot into Mint 18.3 from an iso I can move and copy large files without problems to the ReadyShare drive. So that eliminates the laptop, the router, my home wifi, etc. There is a definite difference between Mint 18.x and Mint 19 in this area. Could it be in the migration from smb to cifs? A smarter person than me hopefully can figure this out.

Thnx,
Geoff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Network dropped connection on reset error

Post by rene »

This is not really a direct answer but any possible direct answer apparently involves version specific bugs and/or behaviour. I would as such suggest foregoing the "file manager method" which you now seem to be using -- the GVFS method that is, in which GVFS is an unconfigurable, undiscoverable and undebuggable collection of bugs -- and try for a more native Linux setup instead.

To do so you would add to /etc/fstab a line

Code: Select all

//192.168.1.1/USB_Storage /mnt/readyshare cifs guest,vers=1.0
in which 192.168.1.1 is to be potentially replaced with the IP of your router (or with whichever name from /etc/hosts you have given to that IP). Then create the mount point and try to mount it:

sudo mkdir /mnt/readyshare && sudo mount /mnt/readyshare
If this works you can in the file manager go to /mnt/readyshare and hit Ctrl-D to have the readyshare directly accessible from the left hand side pane. It is expected that you will in this case not have an issue copying back and forth.

Given that its a laptop which is supposedly not always connected to your own router this answer will need tweaking so as to in fact use the auto mounter, but the above is the basic setup. It that works to satisfaction, you want to change the fstab line to read

//192.168.1.1/USB_Storage /mnt/readyshare cifs noauto,guest,vers=1.0,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.mount-timeout=10s,x-systemd.idle-timeout=10m
in which you may of course change the 10 minute idle timeout to whatever suits your fancy. Unmount the current /mnt/readyshare if now mounted and reload configuration so as to have this functional:

sudo umount /mnt/readyshare && sudo systemctl daemon-reload
This should have the effect that /mnt/readyshare mounts only whenever you in fact access it, and unmounts again after the specified idle timeout.
eightwt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Network dropped connection on reset error

Post by eightwt »

Rene,

I'd fooled around with cifs a few weeks ago and couldn't get all the syntax right, but your tutorial made a lot more sense and after I changed the IP and directory names to match my system I now have it working. Thanks. Copying works and even seems faster than when I was using gvfs in Mint 18.
I guess I should mark this SOLVED!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Solved] Network dropped connection on reset error

Post by rene »

Very good. To be complete; you should depending on the age of your router probably also try with "vers=3.0", "vers=2.1" and "vers=2.0" instead of "vers=1.0" so as to potentially use a newer protocol version: anything under 3.0 was semi-recently compromised security-wise. On the other hand, this is on a private LAN of course not an issue, so if it works it works.

Getting GVFS out of the picture tends to be a very effective trouble squashing method...
eightwt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eightwt »

I guess my router is too old. The only protocol that works seems to be vers=1.0. But as you said, it shouldn't matter much because it's on a private LAN.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The same appears to for now be true of 99% of "appliances", and including my own. Yes, fine on a LAN.

Return to “Networking”