Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
smac
Level 1
Level 1

NFS upload/download ratio

Post by smac »

I've gone through a pretty steep learning curve recently in the process of setting up a file server. After a lot of tinkering the setup I've ended up with is the server running Freenas and offering up an NFS share. The client (my laptop running Mint 7) maps the NFS share at boot. Laptop is usually wireless, server is ethernet. All good.

The one thing I was struggling with was upload speed from client to server. I spent hours fiddling with the various NFS settings at both ends, but could not maintain a consistent transfer of more than 900-1000Mb/s (ie 1 MB/s approx) .

Because the wireless connection is normally faultless I didn't even consider that it could be an issue. For web activity the wireless is as good as ethernet. However while staring at the traffic monitor I realised I'm getting about 20% download traffic thrown back at me from the NFS server while simply uploading a file. Is that normal?? I expect packet confirmations etc but not 20% the volume of data! I've also learned this week that wireless is half duplex, not full.

SO, ethernet being full duplex absorbs the high return traffic no problem, but it has to be hitting the half duplex wireless connection pretty hard surely? Is this 5:1 up/down ratio normal for NFS? What the hell is the server sending me? Is there anything that can be done to trim it back? :?

smac
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NFS upload/download ratio

Post by smac »

Interesting...(to me)....

Just tried a download from server to client, and it's sitting happily 3.3-3.5MB/s, three times what I can get with an upload. The reply traffic is gone to, down to 10's of KB/s, far more like what I would expect.

So, there's either something very odd about data transfer and the NFS client/server relationship, or maybe my server just can't write faster than 1MB/s...(but that doesn't explain the traffic coming the other way).

Anybody...anybody....?

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

I have the same problem with low NFS transfer speeds (around the same as what you say you get), and no amount of tweaking will have any effect on how it works. I've also noticed the high-volume return traffic when using NFS to transfer files between my LAN computers. I'm curious to see what kind of replies you get.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

smac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smac »

Don't hold your breath, it would seem..... :roll:

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

Indeed.

I had a similar post at UF a while back that also went largely unnoticed.

Bah.

nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nandemonai »

Not sure what to tell you guys.

I get 11905KB/s down / 273KB/s up when downloading from a NFS share on my server. T-Base 100 Ethernet full duplex. Perhaps just the overhead of wireless? Have you tried any tests with other application layer protocols like HTTP / SAMBA etc?

Curious.
Linux Mint 7 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

smac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smac »

Not wireless causing it, just wireless that's not coping with it very well.

I say not causing it because I'm not seeing the same pattern on wireless from server to client. Also, client to server traffic on ethernet has the same issue, just that the full duplex nature of ethernet seems to cope with it better.

Might have to go brave the Freenas forum......

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

I haven't really had much opportunity to test wired speeds, as I have two laptops behind a linksys wrt54gl router. I could plug one in at a time, but I don't see much point in that.

I have the same abysmal speeds in all linux networking on both computers, ever since around this time last year. NFS, SMB, SSH, FTP... The only time either computer transfers at a decent speed is when both are running Windows. HTTP speeds & transfer rates/ratios seem normal to my untrained eye.

I seem to remember a kernel update coming through some time last summer that screwed a lot of things up for me - Networking (all the above mentioned protocols), USB transfers, moving files between partitions on an internal HDD.. Everything changed with kernel 2.6.24-18 on my computers.

To this day, I can drop in a Feisty Fawn or Gutsy Gibbon livecd and the whole story changes. Even Hardy Heron as-shipped works fine. But as soon as I apply that kernel update (and the associated headers & modules) everything goes to hell. I don't know what to make of it, but testing and/or fixing it is far beyond my skills.

Return to “Other networking topics”