Mounting a Remote drive

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Mounting a Remote drive

Post by lsemmens »

I occasionally make a stupid error of attempting to access a drive on another of my machines without first mounting it. Is there any method that I can remotely mount said drive without actually going to that computer? (I know, I can setup auto mount so the drives mount at boot time but, occasionally I forget to do that and, of course, it is not then visible until I fix that)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mounting a Remote drive

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 pm I occasionally make a stupid error of attempting to access a drive on another of my machines without first mounting it. Is there any method that I can remotely mount said drive without actually going to that computer? (I know, I can setup auto mount so the drives mount at boot time but, occasionally I forget to do that and, of course, it is not then visible until I fix that)
I use NFS between my machines and alias nm to mount the network drive, and umn to unmount it.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

# Mount server share from client
sudo mount -o vers=3 192.168.20.101:/media/boot/HWRAID-5EE-S/Working /media/boot/HWRAID-5EE-S

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Unmount network share
sudo umount /media/boot/HWRAID-5EE-S/
This requires the server to mount the drive to NFS when it boots.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Mounting a Remote drive

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks Catweasel, I shall try that when I return home on Wednesday. I'm at son's place helping with home schooling at the moment.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Networking”