securing bluetooth

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yamaharacer 2015
Level 1
Level 1

securing bluetooth

Post by yamaharacer 2015 »

newbie here, with a serious concern.
I discovered a unknown device connected via bluetooth to my desktop. I use an asus PCE-AC55BT 802.11ac Wifi AC1200 Bluetooth 4.0 PCIe/mPCIe adapter. and the standard Bluetooth manager installed with mint 19. someone's Iphone was connected to my desktop.
when I set my phone up it needed a pin. how did this person connect to my desktop without a pin? he had access to my files because it was notifying me it was attempting to send files to his phone!

how can I keep this from happening again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: securing bluetooth

Post by JeremyB »

I would do

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist btusb" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
And not use bluetooth anymore
yamaharacer 2015
Level 1
Level 1

well as you may be aware, android phones do not communicate with linux mint via usb. so I have to use the bluetooth to share files.

I just want to know how an Iphone connected without permission. asus said their adapter has built in security that stops devices attaching without me knowing. someone has already figured out how to circumvent it. asus is now aware..
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

yamaharacer 2015 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 am well as you may be aware, android phones do not communicate with linux mint via usb.
That is simply false.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
yamaharacer 2015
Level 1
Level 1

catweazel wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:03 am
yamaharacer 2015 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 am well as you may be aware, android phones do not communicate with linux mint via usb.
That is simply false.
well, I guess I need you to come to my house and show me it works. because it tells me cannot mount. and it doesn't show up in devices.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I don't remember what I needed to do with my android phone, it involved developer options on the phone and every time I connect I have to change the phone option from charge only to MTP/file access
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I have an LG Phoenix 3 (Android). All I have to do is switch from "Charging" to "Media Sync (MTP)" on the phone. JeremyB mentions developer options; I haven't needed to mess with that. This has worked the same way on every OS I've ever installed, from Windows 7/10 to Mint/Ubuntu/Fedora.

If for some reason you still can't get this to work, you could always install an FTP server (I use FTP Server Plus)on your phone and transfer files that way.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

yamaharacer 2015 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:45 pm well, I guess I need you to come to my house and show me it works. because it tells me cannot mount. and it doesn't show up in devices.
You turn on MTP, which may require turning on developer mode. It will be documented in your phone's manual, but then you want me to go to your place and read it for you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

yamaharacer 2015 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 am android phones do not communicate with linux mint via usb.
Mine mounts as soon as I plug it in.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Networking”