Query Router/DHCP Server

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Query Router/DHCP Server

Post by pgmer6809 »

I know (from visiting its web admin pages) that my router/dhcp server maintains a list of hostnames to IP addresses. It preserves these even when the host in question is powered off.

This is a small (10-12 computers) local subnet that has no DNS server (it is not a windows domain), has mostly LINUX boxes (Netbios / samba server is not running on most of them) and has also a couple of cell phones, and a couple of MAC computers.
It is just big enough that trying to maintain a bunch of /etc/hosts files is a drag, and the dynamic IPs change just often enough that one can never be sure that what worked last week will work this week.

I would like to be able to access this information (IP addr <==> hostname pairs) from a script. Is there any cmd or piece of the DHCP protocol that can allow me to do that?

Please do NOT reply with any suggestions that involve DNS, WINS, /etc/hosts, or nbtscan.

I am also NOT asking how to find the ip address of the DHCP server, or my own hostname/IP address.

I mention all this negativity only because whenever this question (or a similar one) gets asked on the net, one of the above anwsers is invariably provided and they will not work in this case.

It seems to me that asking the DHCP server for a copy of the info it provides thru its web interface is the most efficient way to go.
Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
pgmer6809
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”