SOLVED: Anyone using PIA?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: Anyone using PIA?

Post by rick gen »

Private Internet Access, it's one of Linux Mint's main sponsors.
https://linuxmint.com/

You download their latest driver in their site, you install it as instructed, but it's not connecting.
Why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Anyone using PIA?

Post by rick gen »

Seems this problem needs coding assistance from the Mint team developers in coordination with the PIA folks.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

So no available help or solution for this problem at all.
They're advertising a service that doesn't work.
Time to find a better alternative.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

I have PIA and it's working fine.

I had some trouble with it connecting at first. For me, the problem was I downloaded the installer to an NTFS drive. When I ran the installer from my /home directory, I had no more connection issues.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rick gen wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 am Seems this problem needs coding assistance from the Mint team developers in coordination with the PIA folks.
If they provide .ovpn files then download those an import them. You don't need their dedicated VPN client.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

ugly wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 am I have PIA and it's working fine.

I had some trouble with it connecting at first. For me, the problem was I downloaded the installer to an NTFS drive. When I ran the installer from my /home directory, I had no more connection issues.
I really don't think a file on a drive with NTFS file system has any relevance at all.
Linux reads files as they are regardless of whether they're NTFS or ext4.
My system is actually partitioned as: one for the Windows (NTFS), one for Linux (ext4), which is generated from the installation, and another is a NTFS partition for storage, which serves as a bridge between Linux and Windows. Which means when I'm on Windows or Linux, I save files there. (Linux reads NTFS drives normally, but not Windows on ext3, ext4, etc. My external drives are all formatted on NTFS file system.

I haven't checked thoroughly, but to my surprised it worked when I copied the file from an external drive to my Linux home directory and installed it from there. The downloaded file is just a small script file with a mere 115.1 MiB size.

But like I said, I have to re-checked because I used to run the file successfuly from an external drive with no problem beginning from v69, then v70,v71 to v75.
The problem began from v76 to the latest v81.

Thanks!
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: SOLVED: Anyone using PIA?

Post by ugly »

Yeah, I used to do the same thing with a similar setup. It worked fine until about v76.

It took me a long time to figure that one out. The only reason I managed to figure it out was because I decided to run the v81 installer from a live Mint environment to see if it was a problem with my setup or with the PIA installer. It installed fine from the live disk. So then I ran the installer from my ~/ folder on my installed version of Mint and it worked.

I'm kind of just talking out of my ass here, but I'm assuming there is some issue with permissions that gets messed up when you try to run the installer from an NTFS drive. I know there were a few games that didn't work properly on Steam if you run them from an NTFS drive.

Return to “Networking”