Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bigraial
Level 1
Level 1

Mint & Ubuntu don't work on LAN, work on other networks

Post by bigraial »

Good evening,

I've been using mint for about a year now without issues. Suddenly last week, my internet (both wired and wireless) suddenly cut-off on both of my Mint devices. By cut-off i mean that the wifi connection status is OK but I all requests to the internet result in a timeout

In further troubleshooting, I realized that:
- Windows devices work
- Windows works on one of my Mint devices that has a dual boot
- Android devices work
- Both devices work on external networks (ie coffeeshop)
- The devices can ping 4.2.2.2 from inside the LAN
- The router (AN5506-04) will not factory reset as per instructions found on the net (press sunken button with a pin)
- LiveUSB of Mint18 and Ubuntu16.04 both don't work

I don't think that there was a software update when it cut.

Does anyone have some tips on what I might try next to get this back up and running?
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint & Ubuntu don't work on LAN, work on other networks

Post by AscLinux »

It appears you may be using DHCP to configure your networking and for some reason your Linux devices are not getting nameservers from DHCP server.
bigraial
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bigraial »

We don't have a DHCP server within our LAN (unless there is a small one on the router). Would that suggest it is an ISP level issue? Seems like I am better off moving this over to StackExchange.

Are there any tips/tests I could do to further verify or troubleshoot this?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bigraial wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:17 am
We don't have a DHCP server within our LAN (unless there is a small one on the router). Would that suggest it is an ISP level issue? Seems like I am better off moving this over to StackExchange.

Are there any tips/tests I could do to further verify or troubleshoot this?
Pull the power plug on the router. Count to ten before firing it back up.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bigraial
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bigraial »

Cannot do this at the moment as there are other users. However, I had tried this several times.

As per my original post, I have also tried to apply a factory reset but that functionality appears to have been disabled by my ISP. When I press the sunken button, it begins flashing red, all users are cut-off from the internet for 12-14 hours, and the pre-reset (non-default) passwords are still in effect.
bigraial
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bigraial »

Here is the thread where I have been troubleshooting network level issues.

https://serverfault.com/questions/93186 ... r-networks
bigraial
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bigraial »

As of today, I still believe this is an outage or some other error in my ISP's DNS servers

I found that adding a public DNS to a single device (including a LiveUSB/fresh install) using resolvconf allows me to get name-resolution back. I used directions from this post: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... 506#163506

Unfortunately, I believe this is a poor solution since I need to apply this fix to each Ubuntu/Mint device on the LAN individually. As a longer-term solution, I'm planning to install a second router with a server between my LAN and the locked-down router/AP provided by my ISP.

It's still not clear to me why this affected linux devices but not windows or android but at least I am running again....

Return to “Other networking topics”