Mint & Ubuntu don't work on LAN, work on other networks

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigraial

Mint & Ubuntu don't work on LAN, work on other networks

Post by bigraial »

Good evening,

I've been using mint for about a year now without issues. Suddenly last week, my internet (both wired and wireless) suddenly cut-off on both of my Mint devices. By cut-off i mean that the wifi connection status is OK but I all requests to the internet result in a timeout

In further troubleshooting, I realized that:
- Windows devices work
- Windows works on one of my Mint devices that has a dual boot
- Android devices work
- Both devices work on external networks (ie coffeeshop)
- The devices can ping 4.2.2.2 from inside the LAN
- The router (AN5506-04) will not factory reset as per instructions found on the net (press sunken button with a pin)
- LiveUSB of Mint18 and Ubuntu16.04 both don't work

I don't think that there was a software update when it cut.

Does anyone have some tips on what I might try next to get this back up and running?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint & Ubuntu don't work on LAN, work on other networks

Post by AscLinux »

It appears you may be using DHCP to configure your networking and for some reason your Linux devices are not getting nameservers from DHCP server.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
bigraial

Post by bigraial »

We don't have a DHCP server within our LAN (unless there is a small one on the router). Would that suggest it is an ISP level issue? Seems like I am better off moving this over to StackExchange.

Are there any tips/tests I could do to further verify or troubleshoot this?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bigraial wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:17 am We don't have a DHCP server within our LAN (unless there is a small one on the router). Would that suggest it is an ISP level issue? Seems like I am better off moving this over to StackExchange.

Are there any tips/tests I could do to further verify or troubleshoot this?
Pull the power plug on the router. Count to ten before firing it back up.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bigraial

Post by bigraial »

Cannot do this at the moment as there are other users. However, I had tried this several times.

As per my original post, I have also tried to apply a factory reset but that functionality appears to have been disabled by my ISP. When I press the sunken button, it begins flashing red, all users are cut-off from the internet for 12-14 hours, and the pre-reset (non-default) passwords are still in effect.
bigraial

Post by bigraial »

Here is the thread where I have been troubleshooting network level issues.

https://serverfault.com/questions/93186 ... r-networks
bigraial

Post by bigraial »

As of today, I still believe this is an outage or some other error in my ISP's DNS servers

I found that adding a public DNS to a single device (including a LiveUSB/fresh install) using resolvconf allows me to get name-resolution back. I used directions from this post: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... 506#163506

Unfortunately, I believe this is a poor solution since I need to apply this fix to each Ubuntu/Mint device on the LAN individually. As a longer-term solution, I'm planning to install a second router with a server between my LAN and the locked-down router/AP provided by my ISP.

It's still not clear to me why this affected linux devices but not windows or android but at least I am running again....

Return to “Networking”