IPv6 privacy extensions - not working: reset every few seconds

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris42

IPv6 privacy extensions - not working: reset every few seconds

Post by chris42 »

Hi there,
On my system (Mint 19 Cinnamon) privacy extensions for IPv6 are activated and I successfully get a global temporary dynamic IPv6.

However this IPv6 does not change. The lifetime is being reset every few seconds back to 14399. Then counts down for a few seconds and gets reset.
Hence the IPv6 never expires and a new one is not created. Basically rendering the extensions useless.

Anyone experiencing the same? Any ideas how to debug or how to solve?

Thanks
Chris

EDIT: missed the "temporary" in the description... Which is quite important for the case ;-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: IPv6 privacy extensions - not working: reset every few seconds

Post by catweazel »

chris42 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:11 am Anyone experiencing the same? Any ideas how to debug or how to solve?
https://major.io/2016/04/17/enable-ipv6 ... rkmanager/

See if that helps.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
chris42

Post by chris42 »

Yes, was on that page already when trying to activate privacy extensions. For some reason my system is ignoring the sysctl configuration completely. I needed to set it in the network manager per connection. (This seems to be another bug?).

However the countdown for the addresses get reset. I figured it gets reset with every router advertisement.
chris42

Post by chris42 »

I would guess this is a bug somewhere in the networking. The router advertisements for temporary addresses should be ignored and the lifetime just be counted down.

However what is the right module to report a bug to?
chris42

[Solved] Activiate IPv6 privacy extensions on Tara (also after upgrade)

Post by chris42 »

Just a note, if you are trying to activate IPv6 privacy extensions under Tara (or you are coming from pre Ubuntu 17.04 versions).

As Ubuntu switched to nplan for configuration, there is a Bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1750392, which ignores the sysctl settings.

You need to do the following:
1. sudo nano /etc/netplan/60-ipv6.yaml
2. add: ip6-privacy: true
chris42

Post by chris42 »

Huh? What happened here?

So to clean that up: The "[Solved] Activiate IPv6 privacy extensions on Tara (also after upgrade)" post that just appeared here in the thread has only remotely to do with the topic here. I did this in an extra thread, not to confuse ppl.

It is an explanation on how to activate privacy extensions in the first place, as here in the thread already outdated information were posted.

The reset of lifetime for the IP however is separate of this.

Return to “Networking”