Samba running two sessions?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AnOrange

Samba running two sessions?

Post by AnOrange »

Hello all. I'm a long time Mint user, never had problems that I couldn't resolve (thanks to this forum!) and I've just upgraded my PC to 19. I have a number of computers on my home network and successfully use Samba for file sharing (including with an old Buffulo NAS box) Samba has never been a problem for me (touch wood!) and I'm now quite a dab hand at sorting out issues (tbh, I find Samba pretty straight forward as long as you keep it simple) However, this little problem is baffling me....

My new Tara PC appears twice on a network browse - both with "(File Sharing)" appended to the host name (I've not seen that before) It appears this way on all networked PCs. File sharing works as it should, no issues there, it's just this weird appearing twice thing - it's as if two samba sessions are running. If I do 'sudo service smbd stop', both 'host name + "(File Sharing)" entries go to be replaced by simply the host name. Obviously, the host is then no longer browseable . 'sudo service smbd start' sees both entries reappear and the host is again browseable.

sudo service smbd status shows...

● smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; enabled; vendor preset: ena
Active: active (running) since Thu 2018-09-20 15:09:58 CEST; 2s ago
Docs: man:smbd(8)
man:samba(7)
man:smb.conf(5)
Main PID: 4620 (smbd)
Tasks: 4 (limit: 4621)
CGroup: /system.slice/smbd.service
├─4620 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
├─4622 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
├─4623 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
└─4624 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group

Sep 20 15:09:58 Gerard systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
Sep 20 15:09:58 Gerard systemd[1]: Started Samba SMB Daemon.

Can someone point me in the direction of resolving this intrigue? Thanks :)

Edit: attached screen shot shows what I mean (Gerard is the new Tara PC)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AnOrange

Re: Samba running two sessions?

Post by AnOrange »

Sorted it, using Webmin, as it makes it easier to configure smb.conf

I changed the 'default service' in the [global] settings

Thanks for all your help :wink:
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution, and I apologize myself and on behalf of the members on here for not spotting your original post. Unfortunately, I've seen that it happens all too often .. I, for one, check the "New Posts" on average once daily; i suspect many others do also, but posts inevitably still get overlooked, or simply not seen by someone who feels they can help.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AnOrange

Post by AnOrange »

Late update.... I reverted back to 18 in the end.

After rebooting (on 19), I had the 2 'File Sharing' services back again. Service restart (sudo service smbd restart) didn't resolve but restarting via Webmin did. I could not find a reason nor cause for the 2 services... so I gave up and it bugged me so that I went back to 18.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You will likely have to remain with Mint18 for quite some time.

Ubuntu finally enabled mDNS in samba with Ubuntu 18.04 so when everything is working correctly your Mint19 machines will appear twice:

** Once using the deprecated netbios mechanism which resolves to smb://gerard

** And agin using mDNS which resolves to smb://gerard.local

It's not a bug it's a feature.

Two different options in smb.conf control how these run: multicast dns register and disable netbios
I wouldn't recommend messing with either but that's me.

For the typical Mint user this probably isn't an issue since netbios "discovery" is broken in Mint unless the user adds client max protocol = NT1 to his smb.conf
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”