How to browse Windows share

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idflorin

How to browse Windows share

Post by idflorin »

How I can browse windows share without modifying windows-pcs?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How to browse Windows share

Post by AZgl1800 »

you can't.

create a folder, or choose a drive/folder that you want to see.

then create the Sharing Permissions and password to allow a network connection to view/read/write, what ever you choose for those permissions.

for myself, as I am the only tech type person in this house, I clicked on C:\ and shared the whole dern thing.
that lets me cruise around and do anything I please on the Windows pc from my Linux laptop in a different part of the house.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
idflorin

Post by idflorin »

Windows 7 to windows 7 works.
Mint to windows 7 doesn't work.
I installed Samba but still doesn't work.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

idflorin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 am Windows 7 to windows 7 works.
Mint to windows 7 doesn't work.
I installed Samba but still doesn't work.
it will work, if you get all the parameters right

this is from Mint 18.3 Cinnamon to my Win7 PC

I can copy/paste files back and forth from Linux. Never bothered to do it the reverse way, have no interest in doing that.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What version of Mint are you using? Mint18 or Mint19?

If you are using Mint19 you will not be able to browse any SMB shares - at least not those from Windows itself.

** Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf.

** Right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add this one:

Code: Select all

client max protocol = NT1
** Save smb.conf, restart your file manager, and try to browse the network again.

If you are using Mint18 go through the following checklist: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
oldwood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldwood »

"If you are using Mint19 you will not be able to browse any SMB shares - at least not those from Windows itself."

Seriously!! Why would this Version be shipped without the ability to access windows networks?? If the intention is attracting more users this is NOT the way to do that! :?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

[1] I did not say you can not access a Windows share. What I said was you can not "discover" or "browse" for them.

[2] Mint doesn't know anything about Samba one way or the other.

[3] It's not a Mint thing it's a Gnome-ish thing. They don't know anthing about samba either.

[4] Since Desktop Linux as a generic entity can't break above the 3% market share level to save its life I don't know if its intent is to attract more users.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
oldwood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldwood »

[4] Since Desktop Linux as a generic entity can't break above the 3% market share level to save its life I don't know if its intent is to attract more users.

It does not look like that is the intent. All previous versions had no problem accessing or browsing windows networks. When you release a product like this it puts off a LOT of new users............oh well so it goes.

Gerry
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

All previous versions had a version of samba that had client max protocol = NT1 as the default. With that setting browsing for netbios names is possible.

The version of samba that comes with Ubuntu 18.04 has client max protocol set to SMB3. It did that so it could connect to Win10, macOS, and other modern operating systems. The reality is that it should not matter what the max level is set to but gvfsd-smb-browse gets all messed up over it. That is owned by Gnome and they don't seem in a big hurry to do anything about it.
oldwood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldwood »

Why would the Mint team not recognize this limitation and alter the client max protocol = NT1 in their release?

In the end for the end user the end result is this version is non functional and they are going back to 18.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You are just going to have to trust me on this one point: Mint isn't going to touch Samba. Ain't gonna happen. However they get it from Ubuntu is how it will be in Mint.

But let's just say they did set it back to NT1. There is a paradox here:

** Set it to NT1 and we can browse the network but won't be able to connect to a Win10 share because it disables NT1.

** Keep it at the SMB3 default and you can't browse the network but you will be able to connect to WIn10 - or any other machine that disables NT1 ( SMB1 ).
oldwood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldwood »

OK why not in the release notes address the fact that the issue exists and give instructions for resolving it. Just putting out a OS that can not browse a windows network make no sense at all when over 80% of the home networks are windows.

And by the by thanks for your time talking to me about this :D

Return to “Networking”