Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Default apps don't work from shared folder. [SOLVED]

Post by optimize me »

If I'm accessing a shared folder from another computer on my LAN, whether it be via SMB or NFS (depending on which OS either one of our dual-boot comps is running at the time), the default application I have selected will never open the file in question until I C&P it to a local directory. For example, if I want to view a PDF located in a shared folder on another comp and I double-click it, instead of opening in Adobe (as it is the default) it will open in try to Evince, but just sit with a "Loading file..." dialog that never seems to go anywhere. Another example is an ODT or DOC file. Neither type will open in OOo - instead I'm prompted to install Abiword (which I also found out will not open the remote files) or then to choose an application.

Mostly this seems to be the case with accessing a Samba share on another computer from inside my Mint localhost, but I occasionally get problems like this when the second computer is running Ubuntu and I'm using Mint. The exception to the problem seems to be media files - I can play media files located on the remote host, and they even open up in VLC, which I have set as my default player for everything - if it's a Samba share, though, the connection isn't anywhere near fast enough to support a media stream.

Any thoughts on how to get proper file recognition and use my default apps when accessing remote files/folders from my computer?

FYI, my computer is a Vista/Mint 7 dual-boot. Comp #2 is an XP/Ubuntu Jaunty dual-boot. We're both behind a Linksys WRT54GL NAT router. All firewalls have been configured, ports opened, etc, etc...
Last edited by optimize me on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Default apps don't work from shared folder.

Post by DrHu »

Possibly the menu>Control Panel>Authorizations may help.. there seem to be most of the device/software selections available there!

Run the file manager (Nautilus) and check the properties for Software, its under Edit>Prerences>Media
--and it looks like a limited Gnome menu, so that only
  • CD
  • DVD video
  • Music Player
  • Photos
    --no applications found, default setup
  • Software
I think there are also default application selections for some file types, eg *.pdf, the default is evince, I beleive (in Ubuntu)
--what happens when you right-click the remote file, check the properties and see Open with selection that becomes available

Maybe you could also try this, mintupload the file and see if mint's public store is able to open the file remotely with the correct (default) application; as a test
--I am also thing Mint giver/taker (file sharing) on a local network means just that: local network only..

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

That's a new one on me. How are you mounting the remote share: Nautilus - Network, smb4K, fstab, ...
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

DrHu wrote:Possibly the menu>Control Panel>Authorizations may help.. there seem to be most of the device/software selections available there!

Run the file manager (Nautilus) and check the properties for Software, its under Edit>Prerences>Media
--and it looks like a limited Gnome menu, so that only
  • CD
  • DVD video
  • Music Player
  • Photos
  • Software
I think there are also default application selections for some file types, eg *.pdf, the default is evince, I beleive (in Ubuntu)
--what happens when you right-click the remote file, check the properties and see Open with selection that becomes available

Maybe you could also try this, mintupload the file and see if mint's public store is able to open the file remotely with the correct (default) application; as a test
--I am also thing Mint giver/taker (file sharing) on a local network means just that: local network only..
One of your fixes worked. I think it was somewhere in the Authorizations application. I set the rights for directly access video player to 'yes' for all the fields and now it works.

I'd been having problems with any .avi file opening in vlc by default. I have another post around here somewhere about it.. I set vlc in the right-click menu, in nautilus preferences, and even had to go so far as replacing totem.desktop with vlc.desktop for all the media files inside /etc/gnome/defaults.list - nothing worked.

I guess that's under control now. Thanks for the input.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

Return to “Other networking topics”