always samba not working by default !?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nickthevoice

always samba not working by default !?

Post by nickthevoice »

Hi guyz !

I'm on linux for around 10 years, I test lot of version but I finally goes with linuxmint.

Why at any new version samba never working well by default with windows share WORKGROUP !?

It's always a headhache to setup samba, now I test the new 19 and I'm again in trouble with samba !?

I Can't see other windows or linuxmint PC on my network and I don't see shared printer too.

thanks in advance.

nicK
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: always samba not working by default !?

Post by altair4 »

On a philosophical note the reason samba always seems to be an issue is that the folks who put together Desktop Linux distros know nothing about it and don't have the influence to change things if they did.

Anyhoo,

You can't see the other Windows machines on your network because samba made some changes to how it connects to other machines and it inadvertently messed up netbios/host discovery. To fix that - please note the caveat about Win10:
Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes

Your Linux and macOS machines can use a different and more modern dynamic. This is done automatically in Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint19 but for older operating systems you need to add a file:
Samba Browsing in an all Linux or Linux/OSX network
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
nickthevoice

Re: always samba not working by default !?

Post by nickthevoice »

thanks !

This is a probleme the 17.3 & 18 version of linuxmint was stable and (in my case) bug free !

and when I put the 19 version OMG ! really older bug come again like "mouse not working at start" / audio output choice not stay after reboot / samba trouble and the new firefox is not bad but not perfect, I hate to say that but "chrome" is the most completed linux browser :(

Next time when I found a version who working perfectly I will kill my curiosity and stay with that :) hahaha ! I kiddy it's impossible....

nicK

Return to “Networking”