[Solved] One PC does not show up in Nemo (all Linux, Samba problem?)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stefan_o
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] One PC does not show up in Nemo (all Linux, Samba problem?)

Post by stefan_o »

Hello,

I've got three PCs in my network: Two with Mint 19, one with Ubuntu 18.04 Server. All use exactly the same Samba version. There is no custom setting in smb.conf except the shares on the Ubuntu server.
The two Mint 19 can see and access each other, no problem, but the Ubuntu Server (IP: 192.168.1.101) cannot be seen by them in Nemo. They all have the same workgroup, smbtree can see all devices from all devices. smbclient can access them no problem. From my mobile phone VLCs internal smb client can easily access all 3 devices.
If I enter smb://192.168.1.101 in Nemo it says the address cannot be found, same when I enter the name. I tried to figure out the problem and read a lot about different SMB versions, but that does not seem to be the problem.

After I do:
gio mount smb://192.168.1.101

The address smb://192.168.1.101 can be opened in Nemo (works also with the name), but the device is still not listed in the Network overview.

Unfortunately I cannot find any useful log entry to find out what's the problem, but I assume something for name resolving is missing on the Ubuntu Server, but what?

Best regards
Stefan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: One PC does not show up in Nemo (all Linux, Samba problem?)

Post by altair4 »

That's a curious set of symptoms you've got there.

Part of this is easy:
The two Mint 19 can see and access each other, no problem, but the Ubuntu Server (IP: 192.168.1.101) cannot be seen by them in Nemo.
I hope by Ubuntu Server you really mean Ubuntu Server but there is one thing the Ubuntu / Mint desktop has installed that Ubuntu does not. So install it on the server:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install avahi-daemon
That will enable Sambas "multcast DNS" registration option and your network will no longer be dependent on workgroup, netbios names, and all the rest of the Windows specific mess. It will show up outside of the "Windows Network" folder in Nemo.

The thing about using the ip address is just plain weird. I need to think upon that a bit.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
stefan_o
Level 2
Level 2

Re: One PC does not show up in Nemo (all Linux, Samba problem?)

Post by stefan_o »

Thank you very much! Installed avahi-daemon and it worked immediately! Yes I meant the real Ubuntu Server.

Return to “Networking”