[Solved] VPN from networking applet in Mint 19

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crobar
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] VPN from networking applet in Mint 19

Post by crobar »

Hello,

I just upgraded from 17 to 19 (which looks good thanks), but I'm having trouble setting up a VPN the same way as in 17. In 17 I somehow had it that connecting to the VPN was an item on the menu when you clicked on the networking applet in the cinnamon desktop. Now I can't seem to get this back again, can anyone advise how to do this? I need to connect to a Cisco Compatible VPN (vpnc).

I've tried installing all of the following packages, but still no menu item:

network-manager-gnome
network-manager-pptp
network-manager-pptp-gnome
network-manager-iodine
network-manager-iodine-gnome
network-manager-openconnect
network-manager-openconnect-gnome
network-manager-openvpn
network-manager-openvpn-gnome
network-manager-strongswan
network-manager-vpnc
network-manager-vpnc-gnome

Thanks!

EDIT, to give more of an idea of what I mean, here is what the option looks like in Ubuntu, and what I had previously in Mint Linux 17:
network-applet-with-vpn-ubuntu.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crobar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VPN from networking applet in Mint 19

Post by crobar »

I realised I had to actually configure a VPN first (go to network connections and click on the + to add a vpn), then the option to connect appears in the network applet.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] VPN from networking applet in Mint 19

Post by diapason »

Hello
Could I please ask you if you are successfully getting VPN connections established. Please see my post under Networking on Monday 12 November 2018 at 12:07.
I had no trouble for years with Mint 17, 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3 and even 16 and 15 before. Like you, I have gone to a clean install of Mint 19 and I just cannot get PPTP VPN to work.
Thanks
diapason
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6
Evolution Mail Client 3.44.4
Brave Browser & Search Engine
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] VPN from networking applet in Mint 19

Post by diapason »

Problem solved. A corruption must have crept in on network manager on the Mint 19 installation. I wiped it with a clean install and everything is working normally.
diapason
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6
Evolution Mail Client 3.44.4
Brave Browser & Search Engine

Return to “Networking”