Order of booting machines determines if the home network works or not [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
itsmeacalling

Order of booting machines determines if the home network works or not [SOLVED]

Post by itsmeacalling »

I have two laptops, one dual boot Linux Mint MATE 18.2/ Win 10 Pro, the other Win 10 Home edition.
If I boot the Linux machine first followed by booting the Win 10 Home machine I can access files and folders from any machine (working perfectly). However if I boot the Windows 10 Home machine first, then boot the Linux machine I can only access files and folders from the Windows machine, the Linux machine does not display any workgroup, machines etc.
When both machine are running Windows everything works perfectly, accessing files and folders from any machine no matter which machine was booted first.

Wi-Fi network using static IP addresses
Win10 Home machine named LAPTOP2 using 192.168.1.101
Win10 Pro machine named LAPTOP2 using 192.168.1.100
Linux Mint machine named MINT1 using 192.168.1.102

Could be wrong but I cannot see it being a firewall problem as all is well if I boot the Linux machine first.

The only alteration to the smb.conf file

name resolve order = bcast host
usershare owner only = false
Any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Order of booting machines determines if the home network works or not

Post by altair4 »

What you are describing is the whole netbios / master browser ... um ... thing. It's complicated, unreliable, and Microsoft disliked it so much it deprecated it 19 years ago with the release of Win2K. It still functions(?) of course because Microsoft is obsessed with backward compatibility.

The thing is though in your case I don't know why you need it. You have static ip addresses. Why can't you just set up caja bookmarks to your Windows machines set to smb://192.168.1.101 and smb://192.168.1.100

On Windows you can't do the equivalent - a "mapped drive" - to an entire host only to a share on the host. But you could create a shortcut in Win10 specifying as the location:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\explorer.exe \\192.168.1.102
BTW, You can't have two machines with the same name so is one of these a typo:
Win10 Pro machine named LAPTOP2 using 192.168.1.100
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
itsmeacalling

Re: Order of booting machines determines if the home network works or not

Post by itsmeacalling »

Hi Altair4
You are correct I made a typo, should have been..
Win10 Pro machine named LAPTOP1 using 192.168.1.100
As you suggested I set up caja bookmark to the Windows machine smb://192.168.1.101 and it works perfectly. Plus it does not matter what machine is booted up first.
You learn something new every day
Thank you
Regards
itsmeacalling

Return to “Networking”