Same configuration on Win does not work on Mint

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
imonday

Same configuration on Win does not work on Mint

Post by imonday »

I'm trying to configure my network on my Linux Mint OS. I've been able to do it on Win10 and it's shameful I'm not able to do the same on Linux..

I describe my situation. I have a router-modem connected to internet (address 192.168.1.1) and since the connection is too far away from my room there is an access point (ip 192.168.2.1).

On windows I succeeded in configuring the network using:

192.168.2.89 /24 gw 192.168.2.1 and dns: 192.168.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 I've also added in the advanced tab another address: 192.168.1.46 /24 and another gateway 192.168.1.1.

I'm using network manager and I've basically tried all the possible combinations of ip address / gateway / dns, but at most, I'm able to ping both networks but I can't access to Internet.

Any hints?

is it possible to impose a rule that packets from network X go through gateway Y and use DNS Z ? haven't seen any similar option on Network Manager
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Same configuration on Win does not work on Mint

Post by deepakdeshp »

There is nothing shameful if you aren't able to configure Mint network. It only means that you have to learn the Mint way. Mint isn't a copy of Windows. While installing Mint if your machine is connected to the network, then the network is automatically configured. Later you can tweak it according to your requirement.
This may help
https://tecadmin.net/setup-network-inte ... linuxmint/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
imonday

Post by imonday »

Thank you for the link, I'll read it and try that. Automatically unfortunately does not work.

Another thing is that I m using nm, so I am wondering if there could be conflicts
imonday

Post by imonday »

I changed the AP configuration and now it seems working, thank you anyway

Return to “Networking”