Nordvpn not working or leaking

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zorba61
Level 1
Level 1

Nordvpn not working or leaking

Post by Zorba61 »

I am a newbie to linuxand have Mint cinnamon and have installed Nordvpn by following the links sent to me by Nord but i'm having problems and I din't know whether it's me or Nordvpn.It installs ok and works no problem when using the terminal and command lines but when I connect via the network manager I get the message that I have successfully connected to vpn but when I go here....https://www.dnsleaktest.com it's showing my ISP.
Any help much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Nordvpn not working or leaking

Post by catweazel »

Zorba61 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:40 am https://www.dnsleaktest.com it's showing my ISP.
That's because the NordVPN .ovpn files are not leak-proof.

If you want leak-proof VPN then you need to edit the .ovpn file that you should have got from Nord, and add these values:

Code: Select all

block-outside-dns
script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down-pre
Like this:

#           _   _               ___     ______  _   _
#          | \ | | ___  _ __ __| \ \   / /  _ \| \ | |
#          |  \| |/ _ \| '__/ _` |\ \ / /| |_) |  \| |
#          | |\  | (_) | | | (_| | \ V / |  __/| |\  |
#          |_| \_|\___/|_|  \__,_|  \_/  |_|   |_| \_|
#

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote 103.231.89.30 1194
script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down-pre
After that, you need to delete the Network Manager connection you made and re-import the edited .ovpn. Finally, change the DNS servers on your router and reboot it:

Once all that's done, you can try the DNS leak test again.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Zorba61
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zorba61 »

Cheers for that Catweazel will have a go and report back.
Zorba61
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zorba61 »

Tried that and it didn't work ,getting the 'connected to vpn' message when I connect and if I hover over network connection icon in the panel is says 'connected to vpn' but dns leak test still showing Plusnet as host and Isp and 3 IP addresses.

Update
First test with www.dnsleaktest.com gives above results but when I used whatismyipaddress.com( Nordvpn recommended me two use both and send them snapshots of results) the server for Nordvpn shows and nothing about plusnet?

Return to “Networking”