Unreliable internet connectivity

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Unreliable internet connectivity

Post by GS3 »

I do not know what the Internet Connectivity Monitor does exactly but I generally have unreliable internet connectivity and for years I have been running "ping" automatically in a command line terminal and it lets me know when the connection is slow or dead. I do this in Linux as well as Windows and it is simple and effective.

Code: Select all

ping 8.8.8.8
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
gm10

Re: sorting out file associations

Post by gm10 »

GS3 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:53 am I do not know what the Internet Connectivity Monitor does exactly but I generally have unreliable internet connectivity and for years I have been running "ping" automatically in a command line terminal and it lets me know when the connection is slow or dead. I do this in Linux as well as Windows and it is simple and effective.

Code: Select all

ping 8.8.8.8
Hammering google's DNS every second on a permanent basis? I'm surprised their firewall doesn't auto-block you. I know many that would. At least set a few seconds -i interval, although why not just add a network speed applet to show your actual throughput rather than some artificial ICMP RTT to Google's DNS? I know every desktop environment has one available in the default list.
ginahoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ginahoy »

GS3 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:53 am I do not know what the Internet Connectivity Monitor does exactly but I generally have unreliable internet connectivity and for years I have been running "ping"
I only load ICM when the internet goes down. I set it to check every couple of minutes so I'll know when it's back up again. It pings a website of my choice. I have it ping my own site hosted elsewhere. Or I could set it to google.com or any other site. It reports "Not Connected" or "OK" after each attempt in a scrollable window within the UI. It play a .wav file the first time it's unable to connect (or every time, although that would be annoying!).

I'd prefer that it would alert me when the internet connection is restored. I can't believe the author didn't provide that option! I already know when it's down.
Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce x64 | ASRock Z270 Extreme4 | Core i7 7700K | Cryorig H7 cooler| 32GB DDR4 2400| modded legacy Evercase LE4252 | EVGA 450W B3 | ADATA SX8200 Pro SSD
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:57 amHammering google's DNS every second on a permanent basis? I'm surprised their firewall doesn't auto-block you. I know many that would. At least set a few seconds -i interval, although why not just add a network speed applet to show your actual throughput rather than some artificial ICMP RTT to Google's DNS? I know every desktop environment has one available in the default list.
I find it amusing that anyone would think that pinging Google's DNS server, or indeed any other server, would put it under any stress or load. I mean, really? It's not like there's a guy there answering my pings manually. (At least I hope not.)

I have been doing this for many years and it works well to tell me how my internet connection is going. I use and have used different servers depending on conditions and I have never had a problem. If I am videoconferencing with Japan then I would ping a server in Japan, etc.

Right now I have half dozen computers running and in a corner of the screen I can see their pings going. It starts automatically when the computer boots up and it is simple and effective. When I see pings being dropped or latency starts to increase then I can close down some programs that are less important and give more bandwidth to those with higher priority.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

GS3 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 amI find it amusing that anyone would think that pinging Google's DNS server, or indeed any other server, would put it under any stress or load. I mean, really? It's not like there's a guy there answering my pings manually. (At least I hope not.)
I find it amusing that you find it amusing because it's a real thing:
What is a Ping (ICMP) flood attack?

A ping flood is a denial-of-service attack in which the attacker attempts to overwhelm a targeted device with ICMP echo-request packets, causing the target to become inaccessible to normal traffic. When the attack traffic comes from multiple devices, the attack becomes a DDoS or distributed denial-of-service attack.
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddo ... os-attack/

I'm not saying your 1-second pings will cause DoS on their own, but it's a common attack pattern and hence my surprise you didn't get auto-blocked. No matter the actual impact, you are abusing their server and network resources.

Return to “Networking”