Long time between two files while copying from samba

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zephyroth

Long time between two files while copying from samba

Post by Zephyroth »

When I try to copy a folder with a large number of files from a samba share to the local drive, there is a extremly long time between consecutive file transfers. The file itself is transferred with full speed (~7MB/sec, which is the limit of the WiFi). Before transferring the first file and between the files Nemo waits around 30sec.

There is no problem, when...
...I copy these folders with cp in the console
...I copy these folders from the local drive to the samba share.

I observed this behavior on an actual Linux Mint 18.3 with all updates and a fresh Mint 19. The problem didn't exist on a fresh installation of Mint 18.3 (directly from the image) before any updates were applied.

System is a Lenovo X230 laptop, connected via WiFi.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BR,
Zephyroth
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zephyroth

Re: Long time between two files while copying from samba

Post by Zephyroth »

Ok, I solved the problem myself.

The problem only occurs with the SMB protocol version 2.0 and higher. This also explained why a fresh installed Mint 18.3 worked (Kernel 4.9), while updating (actual kernel 4.13) and Mint 19 (min. kernel 4.12) didn't. With kernel 4.12 the default for a cifs mount was changed from 1.0 to 3.0. When you don't specify the CIFS version to use, 3.0 is used, which causes the described problems with graphical file managers.

With the parameter vers=1.0 in the fstab, everything is fine, although this is an old and not recommended protocol version. At least it works.

BR,
Zeph

Return to “Networking”