PPTP VPN Linux Mint 19 Kernel 4.19.1 [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

PPTP VPN Linux Mint 19 Kernel 4.19.1 [SOLVED]

Post by diapason »

I have just replaced Mint 17.3 kernel 4.15.0-38 with a clean install of Mint 19 and upgraded to the latest kernel 4.19.1.
I am aware there is a known issue with PPTP in kernels later than 3.17.x whereby the module nf_conntrack_pptp is not loading at boot. The solution I used in Mint 17 Qiana and which remained working through upgrades to 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3 was to execute sudo touch /etc/modules-load.d/nf_conntrack_pptp.conf and then sudo echo "nf_conntrack_pptp" > /etc/modules-load.d/nf_conntrack_pptp.conf. It was also possible to load the module manually using sudo modprobe nf_conntrack_pptp.

Now, when I enter sudo echo "nf_conntrack_pptp" > /etc/modules-load.d/nf_conntrack_pptp.conf in the terminal the error message bash: /etc/modules-load.d/nf_conntrack_pptp.conf: Permission denied is returned. Manual loading does not seem to work either although no error message is returned.

I tried regressing to kernel 4.15.0 but got the same error. Can anyone point me towards a solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diapason
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6
Evolution Mail Client 3.44.4
Brave Browser & Search Engine
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Re: PPTP VPN Linux Mint 19 Kernel 4.19.1 [SOLVED]

Post by diapason »

As far as I can tell there may have been a faulty installation of Mint 19. The PPTP plug-in was showing installed but clearly was not working. Marking for reinstallation did not resolve the problem. A clean install of Mint 19 has done the trick. The plug-in is working and VPN is established easily.
diapason
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6
Evolution Mail Client 3.44.4
Brave Browser & Search Engine

Return to “Networking”