Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Askey307
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint as a server?

Post by Askey307 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:34 am

Good Morning

I've been evaluating different opensource alternatives to Windows Server. Not a bit MS fan haha. Would Mint be able to do the job?
Been a big fan of Red Hat for a long time, however, with IBM buying them, I'm getting skeptical.

Your input would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint as a server?

Post by catweazel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:37 am

Askey307 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:34 am
I've been evaluating different opensource alternatives to Windows Server. Not a bit MS fan haha. Would Mint be able to do the job?
It will do just fine.
Askey307 wrote:Been a big fan of Red Hat for a long time, however, with IBM buying them, I'm getting skeptical.
That's not an issue for most of the community. It's a big plus, as is Microsoft's involvement.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Askey307
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Askey307 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:52 am

Awesome, any server packages to install on Mint? Which would you recommend to use? Most prob not cinnamon?

When it comes to MS these days, I'm not so sure anymore.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 am

Mint is a Desktop OS, if you want a pure server I'd suggest installing a server distro instead, e.g. Ubuntu Server https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server

That said, you should probably not be running a server because:
Askey307 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:52 am
Awesome, any server packages to install on Mint? Which would you recommend to use? Most prob not cinnamon?
If you don't know what kind of server you need to be running then we certainly don't, either. Also realize that there are bad people out there, if you just happily hook a few "server packages" up to the Internet without a real understanding about what they do then you stand a good chance of getting your box hacked, so don't put anything important on it while you figure things out.

But first you need to figure out what you actually want/need.
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 am
Mint is a Desktop OS, if you want a pure server I'd suggest installing a server distro instead, e.g. Ubuntu Server https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server
I was going to mention that servers generally run headless and GUI-less but given this is a newcomer question, I chose not to muddy the waters. Installing Ubuntu server isn't the solution for the OP.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 am

catweazel wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 am
gm10 wrote:
I was going to mention that servers generally run headless and GUI-less but given this is a newcomer question, I chose not to muddy the waters. Installing Ubuntu server isn't the solution for the OP.
We agree, of course, except I thought muddying the waters was a good idea so he thinks twice before accidentally doing something reckless like putting his personal data on the Internet or worse ;)

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:40 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 am
We agree, of course, except I thought muddying the waters was a good idea so he thinks twice before accidentally doing something reckless like putting his personal data on the Internet or worse ;)
lol

Askey307
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Askey307 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 am

Haha love that you want to introduce me to the dangers. Thank you. But been in the field for a while. I'm trying out by "toying"with different options. I am well versed as well have my B. Honours in Computing and busy with Masters and several other qualification ranging from Comptia, Cisco as well as Juniper. Where as I am studying the course material for Kali to write my Kali exams in January. So well aware of the "bad" people haha. OR a bit to familiar.

But yeah, we all stay rookies. So, more what I want to know, if there has been people that tested it out and they feedback or someone who actually "TOYED" with it before, I would appreciate their input. And some input of actual reviews of what others have tested except for the big ones like Win Server/RedHat and Ubuntu Server.

So my spec can range from a server for 10 people up to 7900 employees (Our current amount). And just getting some toys to play with.

Askey307
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Askey307 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:47 am

catweazel wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 am
gm10 wrote:

We're trying to move away from CLI, newcomers at our company usually prefer GUI and when I compile a report for our COO and CEO (not CTO), it's a nightmare explaining the screenshots which they ask for because it does not look like the pictures they see online like win server gui etc. They're not tech inclined. (Face palm)

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 am

Fair enough. Well then, if you get paid for putting a pretty GUI on a server, no reason you couldn't use Mint. With the Ubuntu base it has access to all the same packages as the server variant. Just be aware that as a desktop distro it installs a whole lot of applications and services/daemons that you'll never need on a server. It might end up being easier adding a window manager and desktop environment to the server variant than cleaning up the desktop, but I never tried so good luck on your adventure either way. :)

Askey307
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Askey307 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 am
Fair enough. Well then, if you get paid for putting a pretty GUI on a server, no reason you couldn't use Mint. With the Ubuntu base it has access to all the same packages as the server variant. Just be aware that as a desktop distro it installs a whole lot of applications and services/daemons that you'll never need on a server. It might end up being easier adding a window manager and desktop environment to the server variant than cleaning up the desktop, but I never tried so good luck on your adventure either way. :)

Will need that goodluck. And yes, I do get paid to make things look prettier for those who do not know the difference between DHCP and Static for example
Sometimes I wish I can just be left alone and make things work my way instead of presenting some statistics and making a Powerpoint slideshow.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:44 am

Askey307 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 am
Sometimes I wish I can just be left alone and make things work my way instead of presenting some statistics and making a Powerpoint slideshow.
Said every sysadmin ever. ;)

Return to “Other networking topics”