NAS Windows Shares no longer accessible from Mint MATE 19

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MikeFreeman

NAS Windows Shares no longer accessible from Mint MATE 19

Post by MikeFreeman »

New member. First Post. Read the rules. Searched. Found similar issues but no solutions.

I can no longer access the windows shares on my NAS. I'm using a recent install of Mint MATE 19 on two computers, fully updated. My laptop works fine. My desktop worked until recently (perhaps the last update, but cannot be sure). On my laptop, when I click Browse Network in Caja, I see 'Windows Network' and three icons that relate to my NAS. All good. On my desktop I used to get the same but now I just get 'Windows Network' which doesn't work.

There are no inconsistencies on my DD-WRT router and I can acces the NAS when Booting from the liveUSB I installed from.

I've spent hours trying to fix this. I did try adding client max protocol = NT1 to smb.conf but no help there.

My NAS hostname is 'zion'. I can ping zion.local from my laptop but my desktop gets 'Name or service not known'. I can ping the IP successfully.

smbclient -L zion works on my laptop but on my desktop fails with 'Connection to zion failed (Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)'. Using the IP address works.

mount.cifs -o username=XXX //server/share /mnt/zion fails on both computers referring me to the manual using either guest or a username or dropping the options whilst accessing a read/write everyone share.

This looks like a netbios issue but despite hours of searching I am none the wiser.

I thought I had finally found an OS that worked! I really hope someone has an easy fix for this as I am at my wits end. Having said that, I will very gratefully accept any help that is offered. I love to learn but I would also like to get some work done. I will reinstall as a last ditch solution, but I can't do that every time something goes wrong.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: NAS Windows Shares no longer accessible from Mint MATE 19

Post by altair4 »

I can ping the IP successfully.
There is nothing dishonorable about accessing your NAS share by it's ip address - as long as it has a static ip address.
I can ping zion.local from my laptop but my desktop gets 'Name or service not known'.
It's really kind of hard to break mDNS ( the .local part ). You ( and by you I mean the system or the update process ) would have to go out of its way to do so. Even if you were in a different subnet from the NAS your error message would be different.

It almost sounds like mDNS isn't working on the desktop. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure it's component parts are installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libnss-mdns

sudo apt install avahi-daemon
You may need to reinstall them.
Then make sure avahi is running:

sudo service avahi-daemon start
Then try the ping again.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MikeFreeman

Re: NAS Windows Shares no longer accessible from Mint MATE 19

Post by MikeFreeman »

Many thanks altair4, like the handle by the way. It reminds me I must get my wife to watch Forbidden Planet to add to her cultural data bank. She's Chinese and much younger than me.

Sadly, your fixes did not provide a solution but I am very grateful for your response. Fortunately, Timeshift had taken some snapshots so I restored root back a few days and then reinstalled the missing programs. Everything works fine now. I will take more frequent snapshots in future though.

As I am brand new, I don't know if there is a protocol for closing this thread now.

Thanks again.

Return to “Networking”