SOLVED cant see network computers since moving to mint 19 SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhenzler
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED cant see network computers since moving to mint 19 SOLVED

Post by dhenzler »

I was always able to see the other computers on the network untiul Mint 19. Now I cant see anything buy my own machine, and maybe one other. No other changes in the system. No hardware changes.

Suggestions ?

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: cant see network computers since moving to mint 19

Post by altair4 »

Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=270442
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dhenzler
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 19 doesn't show other computers on the network

Post by dhenzler »

I thought perhaps it was something I did outside of Mint. But since putting a fresh load of Mint 19 on two systems they no longer see other systems on the default file browser.

Before I could see each of my Mint machines and of course if I had login & passwd coule get access to files etc. Very nice.

Doesn't do this any more... will this be fixed? Is there a workaround? Anybody know what is broken?

Regards
Dave
dhenzler
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes

Post by dhenzler »

The last time I tried your FIX I spent the next 3 hours rebuilding my system as it ate it... I booted from DVD and mounted my hard disk, and fixed the comment I added, but to no avail... Cinnamon Desktop was purged, and I was quite upset at the outcome.

Let me say... I'm not brand new to this Unix/Linux stuff. And have had samba operating before on Solaris 10. I looked for nmbd and smbd using top, and found no hint that samba was running on ANY of my 5 computers. I have one Win7 machine, and 4 Mint machines, two of which are now Mint 19. Those ar the ones that don't see anything on the network. My mint 18 machines work perfectly and I'm about to say that Mint 18 seems to be the best overall for my purposes... Unless this anomaly can be fixed.

I doubt that samba plays into this equasion as if it were running as a server I'd be seeing signs of it on top. So what's next...

Whoever created this version should know what was kept and what was dropped. And maybe it could be that some little detail fell through the cracks because a developer thought nobody would be using THAT !

But I am...

Help me OBWan.... your my only hope !
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 19 doesn't show other computers on the network

Post by altair4 »

I'm going to add your comments in my HowTo here:
dhenzler wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 am The last time I tried your FIX I spent the next 3 hours rebuilding my system as it ate it... I booted from DVD and mounted my hard disk, and fixed the comment I added, but to no avail... Cinnamon Desktop was purged, and I was quite upset at the outcome.
The only item in that HowTo that would affect Mint19 would be the addition of client max protocol = NT1 to smb.conf. Even if you made a typo - or if I made a typo - or even if there is no such parameter as "client max protocol" it would not result in you rebuilding your system or purging of Cinnamon.
Let me say... I'm not brand new to this Unix/Linux stuff. And have had samba operating before on Solaris 10. I looked for nmbd and smbd using top, and found no hint that samba was running on ANY of my 5 computers. I have one Win7 machine, and 4 Mint machines, two of which are now Mint 19. Those ar the ones that don't see anything on the network. My mint 18 machines work perfectly and I'm about to say that Mint 18 seems to be the best overall for my purposes... Unless this anomaly can be fixed.
First: If none of your machines ( except Win7 obviously ) have smbd running that would explain why you can't access any of them.

Second: You are using the wrong tool to determine if smbd or nmbd are running. Use this one instead:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl status smbd
Third: For Linux-to-Linux samba nmbd is not required. What is required is that on all your Mint systems prior to Mint19 have an /etc/avahi/services/samba.service file which is explained in the HowTo.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Several post about the same topic merged together. If you would like to see this topic moved into another relevant forum section, please let us know.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dhenzler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dhenzler »

I don't feel any resolution to the problem has been presented. Many users likely have only one machine. Thus never experienced the joy of seeing your other machines, file sharing etc on the same subnet.

If you feel that this has been resolved... please direct me to where to look. Personally I feel that features should not be lost when making an upgrade. Especially one of network file sharing.

Once again... never had Samba involved with Mint 18 or 17... it worked perfectly fine. What happened? Only the developer may know... is there any link to them ?

Dave
Faxman59

Re: SOLVED cant see network computers since moving to mint 19 SOLVED

Post by Faxman59 »

i can just second this opinion.
i'm moving back to mint 18.1 on my laptop for the same reasons.
i spent hours already trying to get my shares and samb working.
no luck as of yet, so mint 19.0 is going in the trash for me as it is now.
to many not working components. :evil:
i'll give it a try in a year from now.
sorry, having to say this. :(
Faxman59

Post by Faxman59 »

one shot you might have with your problem.
i copied one of my working samba.conf file on my laptop.
at least it started looking into my workgroup without errors.
no other machine showed up though.
maybe you can takle it from that side.
give it a try!
dhenzler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dhenzler »

the fix is the following added to your /etc/samba/samba.conf

CLIENT MAX PROTOCOL = NT1

INSERT THIS RIGHT AFTER WORKGROUP
yekim54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yekim54 »

dhenzler wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:13 am the fix is the following added to your /etc/samba/samba.conf

CLIENT MAX PROTOCOL = NT1

INSERT THIS RIGHT AFTER WORKGROUP
shouldn't the configuration file be "/etc/samba/smb.conf" (not samba.conf)
Linux Mint Xfce 20.3 on Intel NUC7i3 and Asus Chromebox CN60 i7
normva

Re: Cant see network computers on mint 19

Post by normva »

I have two computers (laptop and desktop) running Linux Mint 19.3. The laptop networking works fine. The desktop will not access Windows Network, although, other network computers, including W-10, can access the Linux computer.

Command smbtree does not return the network name on my desktop computer. I even copied the smb.conf from the laptop and it still does not return the network name. My desktop can access my Mac computers and Linux computers. It cannot access Window Network and it does not see the USB drive that is connected to the router. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Norm

Return to “Networking”