DNS and name resolution issues

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
max9999

DNS and name resolution issues

Post by max9999 »

For some reason i'm unable to resolve a specific url.
It happens to be an imap resource. I can ping other urls, servernames, etc without issue.
Also I can ping this url from other PCs on my network.

If I override the DNS server to say 1.1.1.1 or my router in resolve.conf it works ok, but that file keeps getting changed back to 127.0.0.53 when i reboot.

ping: imap.xyz.net: Temporary failure in name resolution

Any idea why a specific resource would have an issue and how to debug what the issue may be?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
reaper_6

Re: DNS and name resolution issues

Post by reaper_6 »

127.0.0.53 is the localhost address is the email service being run on the computer in question?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: DNS and name resolution issues

Post by rene »

127.0.0.53 is the address your local systemd-resolved listens on; it should be the system DNS resolver: it caches and forwards. As to why it's not resolving a specific host, no idea. Given that you already rebooted, I trust systemd-resolve --flush-caches doesn't help. Do you have specific configuration in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf? Does systemd-resolve --status show unexpected upstream servers?

Return to “Networking”