Cannot set up PPTP VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shodan

Cannot set up PPTP VPN

Post by Shodan »

Hi,
I'm new to Mint 19.1 (cinnamon) and have so far found it very simple to set up. I cannot however get it to connect to an occasional VPN I use. It's a PPTP and I'm setting it up via the network manager. All seems fairly obvious except the box to enter a password cannot be accessed (I can't tab or click into it to enter the password). I've discovered I can right-click on the box and paste in the password. It also prompts me for the password when I try to connect, but the connection always fails.
I'm dual-booting to Windows 10 - all works fine in Windows. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: Cannot set up PPTP VPN

Post by redlined »

Shodan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:07 pm Hi,
I'm new to Mint 19.1 (cinnamon) and have so far found it very simple to set up. I cannot however get it to connect to an occasional VPN I use. It's a PPTP and I'm setting it up via the network manager. All seems fairly obvious except the box to enter a password cannot be accessed (I can't tab or click into it to enter the password). I've discovered I can right-click on the box and paste in the password. It also prompts me for the password when I try to connect, but the connection always fails.
I'm dual-booting to Windows 10 - all works fine in Windows. Any suggestions?
hi Shodan!

it has been ages since I last used a ptpp VPN, so had a look around how to do it in LM19.1 (cinnamon). In NM settings I'm assuming you have clicked the + to add PTPP VPN which opens the Add VPN dialog. Locally I see a :?: (question mark) in the password box, clicking on that may show a default action that will help (e.g. store password for user, for all, ask every time or none required) see if toggling through those helps at all. You might also want to enter advanced settings and make sure those match VPN provider requirements, otherwise I am at a loss here (still new to linux so that's not a surprise;)
Shodan

Re: Cannot set up PPTP VPN

Post by Shodan »

Thanks for the suggestions. Alas, no success.
I decided to try a different flavour of Linux (Manjaro) and the VPN set up worked straight away.
Likely I'll come back and try Mint again in the future however...

Return to “Networking”