cant identify device

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

cant identify device

Post by callmejoe »

can anyone help me figure how to track down what this device is? started showing up in my network. it looks like a device running SSH perhaps? but i cant imagine what, especially with that device name. my lan has 2 raspberry pis, 1 linux mint machine, 3 windows 10 machines and 2 xboxs. plus the usual various other mobile devices.

the device only shows up on the linux machines (rasp pis and mint), not on any of the windows machines.

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: cant identify device

Post by powerwagon75 »

Do you have an Alexa in the house? My wife got one of those things a year ago and put it where she spends the most of her time, and a very similar device has been showing up ever since.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
redlined

Post by redlined »

yes, alexa or other somesuch smart/wifi connecting device. Trying to decipher the name I'm coming up with dnssd- stands for DNS service discovery and -dp most likely stands for DNSSEC Policy, sounds hand in hand with what a smart wifi capable device would do to get connected in a shared manner for household. If I had no new device I would say it was something attached trying to call home :evil: and asking the LAN, like a multicast, asking for DNS IP then IP so as to connect home. so I'd grab my BFH and hunt it down :mrgreen:
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

powerwagon75 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:35 pm Do you have an Alexa in the house? My wife got one of those things a year ago and put it where she spends the most of her time, and a very similar device has been showing up ever since.
it's funny i've tried unplugging Alexa. then i reboot machines and router and things, but by that time my wife has already plugged it back in. :roll: :D

Return to “Networking”