[SOLVED] Access one computer from another in home network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Access one computer from another in home network

Post by JerryF »

altair4 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm I hope I get the names right here: jim owns the Gateway and jerry owns the HP right? ....
Yes, you're correct.

I edited the two files as you said and now I can create/move files! Thank you so much for your effort and time.

I'm marking this as solved!

Thank you to all who participated!!!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

altair4 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm We aren't using netbios.
I know it's not literally NETBIOS any more; used it as interchangable with "Windows networking" or more specifically, that which Windows networking grew from. What is "important" here is that Samba is, essentially, a silly choice for networking two Linux machines. And that I will not comment further.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:24 pm
altair4 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm We aren't using netbios.
I know it's not literally NETBIOS any more; used it as interchangable with "Windows networking" or more specifically, that which Windows networking grew from. What is "important" here is that Samba is, essentially, a silly choice for networking two Linux machines. And that I will not comment further.
I understand where you're coming from, but setting up NFS wasn't as simple as everyone said it was, plus it didn't end up working for me. I had hoped it would because I did read that NFS was the native way for unix/linux.

Return to “Networking”