[Solved] LM19.1 unable to mount SMB shares on NAS

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eyeeze
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] LM19.1 unable to mount SMB shares on NAS

Post by eyeeze »

I can't believe it was something so simple. I shouldn't have assumed that my firewall was disabled by default. When I disabled it, everything worked as expected. Thanks for pointing me towards the solution. Marking this as Solved.

==================

Hello fellow LM users --

My problem is with LM and Samba shares on my NAS. I understand that Samba shares are handled differently in LM 19.x vs LM 18.x. After trying many of the suggested fixes I am still unable to mount my shares. I have been pulling my hair out for days! :(

Problem summary:
My older laptop can connect to the SMB shares on my NAS just fine. However my newer laptop cannot.

Steps to reproduce problem:
a) Click on the "Network" folder on my newer laptop's desktop
b) Click on the "Windows Network" folder
c) After a few seconds, error message that states: "Unable to mount location/Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory"

Current setup:
  • Laptop 1 (older Thinkpad) - Linux Mint 18.3 Cinammon (upgraded incrementally from 18)
  • Laptop 2 (newer HP Elitebook) - Linux Mint 19.1 Cinammon (upgraded from 19)
  • NAS - Iomega 1TB Home Media Network Hard Drive (circa 2010)
  • Wireless network - Linksys WRT54GL router, G wireless speed
Steps taken to resolve issue with no success:
  • confirmed smbd and nmbd are running
  • The laptops and NAS are on the same subnet (192.168.100.x)
  • I can access the WEB INTERFACE of the NAS from Laptop 2 with no problem by entering its IP address in Chrome.
  • The NAS's workgroup name is "WORKGROUP"
  • added samba user (sudo smbpasswd -a xxxx) on Laptop 2
  • I ran testparm -s and found Laptop 2's netbios name was longer than 15 characters. I changed the hostname (in the hostname and hosts file).
  • Added "name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins" to smb.conf
  • Added "client max protocol = NT1" to smb.conf
  • Copied smb.conf from laptop 1 to laptop 2.
  • Changed password of user account on NAS to match (identically named) user account on laptop 2. However, even on Laptop 1 I am prompted to choose anon logic or a username/password.
Any and all help with this problem is much appreciated! I understand that there have been a lot of questions on this topic, but after 2 days I am almost ready to give up. Screenshots or output of commands provided on request. Thanks very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Poohstyx

Re: LM19.1 unable to mount SMB shares on NAS

Post by Poohstyx »

I've got virtually the same problem on 19.0.

LM 18 sees everything fine as does windows 10.

Setting the firewall incoming to 'allow' fixes it.

Firewall effectively disabled 'til I work out how to allow everything from the local network while filtering stuff from the net.

Return to “Networking”