(Solved) Unable to Mount Location - new Mint 19 Cinn both machines

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RickM
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Unable to Mount Location - new Mint 19 Cinn both machines

Post by RickM »

I was dearly hoping this network business was going to work easily - no such luck

I have desktop and laptop
I have just installed identical copies of Linux Mint 19.1 Cinn on both machines
I updated the software on both machines
I installed samba on both machines
I rebooted both machines

On desktop I shared the pictures file and it has the additional branch icon on it showing that it is shared

I go to Laptop and double click on Network in the file program
There is an icon for the Desktop computer

I double click on this Desktop computer icon

I get "Unable to Mount Location"

Why?

DISABLED FIREWALL - then it worked
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (Solved) Unable to Mount Location - new Mint 19 Cinn both machines

Post by BG405 »

You could try, in a Terminal window, sudo ufw allow samba. You'll be prompted for your password. No characters (even asterisks) are displayed so just type blindly and press Enter. (You probably know this already but others may not).

Try enabling UFW again and re-test; it should work now. Check the status of UFW with sudo ufw status.

It's probably not a good idea to have the firewall disabled, especially if you use the machine on other networks which may not have a secured router (i.e. properly firewalled). :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Networking”