On Lightning Network and crypto

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EdgarNo

On Lightning Network and crypto

Post by EdgarNo »

My knowledge on crypto is not the best, but I read an article that VPN I'm using is teaming up with Litecoin and they use Lightning Network. It was praised for high transaction speed because it happens strictly p2p and the network itself is being "informed" only if the transaction is successful. In the wiki page it's written

"The payment channels allow participants to transfer money to each other without having to make all their transactions public on the blockchain. This is done by penalizing uncooperative participants. When opening a channel, participants must commit an amount (in a funding transaction, which is on the blockchain). Time-based script extensions like CheckSequenceVerify and CheckLockTimeVerify make the penalties possible."

I don't really understand how this penalty mechanism works. Do these two script extensions check if the requirements for the transaction are met and only then allow it to happen, am I understanding this right? And I don't understand for what purpose a VPN will be used here, just for security reasons or is there some deeper connection between VPN and Crypto? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”