Accessing Windows 10 Pro OneDrive with linuxmint 19.1

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Accessing Windows 10 Pro OneDrive with linuxmint 19.1

Post by GELvdH »

How can I access Windows onedrive with linuxmint? I am running Windows 10 Pro on one computer and linuxmint 19.1 on the others.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i-am-ADD

Re: Accessing Windows 10 Pro OneDrive with linuxmint 19.1

Post by i-am-ADD »

I'm pretty sure you can log into it through a web browser... But, I found this the other day as well.
Browser access:
https://onedrive.live.com/about/signin/

This seems simple... if it works.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/sync-onedrive-linux/
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Thanks, unfortunately it isn't as simple as that when I tried it.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

linuxmint is a debian derivative and the versions they show at the web site are ubuntu, fedora and Arch linux, none seem to install properly.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to set up linuxmint 19.1 to sync my windows onedrive ?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI GELvdH,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Cloud storage on Onedrive - Installation of Ubuntu
https://sites.google.com/site/installat ... ud-storage

How To Mount OneDrive In Linux Using Rclone (Supports Business And Personal Accounts) - Linux Uprising Blog
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/h ... using.html

rclone and rclone-browser may already be in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"

RcloneBrowser (Rclone GUI) Lets You Manage Multiple Cloud Storage Services From A Single Desktop App ~ Web Upd8:
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/01/rclonebr ... s-you.html

Update: I just created a free OneDrive account (only 5gb) and used "rclone" from the console terminal to connect and rclone browser can manage it. Works fine. FYI: The Polo file manager Cloud option would be easier to use for connecting to your OneDrive or other cloud accounts using "rclone".

Hope this helps ...
rclone1.jpg
rclone2.jpg
OneDrive_FileManager.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I used the 'Mount onedrive using rclone ' and everything went as per the instructions until I got to the mounting onedrive then I got the following error message
2019/02/03 09:13:33 Fatal error: unknown flag: --vfs-cache-mode
I am new to linux, have no idea how to correct that.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

Okay. I have never used OneDrive cloud storage provider before yesterday. I do have other cloud provider accounts and I use their Linux cloud sync clients to manage them. For some cloud providers, you can use the "online accounts" option to access them as well, but I did not see a "onedrive" option.

In my testing for your post, I used the rclone browser to mount the cloud account to a folder I created in my Home folder called OneDrive, but this was not persistent after restarting my computer (connection was lost after restarting).

There is also the "onedrive" application that was in my "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", but I did not use that.

I tried the console terminal rclone command you and some of the articles mentioned, but it did not work for me either.

Today I brought up rclone browser and had to remount to gain access to the onedrive account data. As soon as I figure out how to make the mounting persistent I will let you know. Perhaps others in this forum already know how. I also brought up the polo file manager and it easily accessed my onedrive account.

If I close the rclone browser I loose the "mount" and access to the onedrive.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Thanks, it makes me feel better that an experienced "geek" has problems also. Thanks for the help.
I have 3 computers, 2 desktops and a laptop, all are running dual boot Win10Pro/Linuxmint 19.1 and I am working on all three at different times.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

You are welcome...

Although I am very experienced with computers, computer hardware, and software, etc... I am not a "geek".

You can list all rclone cloud accounts that have been configured using the command below

Code: Select all

rclone listremotes
This console terminal command does mount my OneDrive account "phd21", but if I close the console terminal window, I lose the connection.

rclone --vfs-cache-mode writes mount phd21: ~/OneDrive

This console terminal command does mount my OneDrive account "phd21" and release the console terminal and maintains the connection. I am sure this can be added to the startup apps. And there is a syncing option too.

rclone --vfs-cache-mode writes mount phd21: ~/OneDrive --daemon
OneDrive appears to create two default folders "Documents" and "Pictures". I can access the Documents and root folder, but not the Pictures folder (yet). I am sure there is some command flag(s) to allow that.

Hope this helps ...
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I tried to use one drive from SPM and it seem to work but when I get logged in I get a blank page with the following URL...
https://login.microsoftonline.com/commo ... 0c193dbdcc
On a hunch I pasted the URL into the Terminal request for a uri, and lo and behold the darn thing is downloading all of my pictures etc., I am waiting to see what it ends up as.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I can login to onedrive but when I tried to sync it with mint it seems to not update the windows onedrive copy. I tried to install onedrive-d, it gets so far but it keeps giving me the following error when I tried to ./inst install
bash: ./inst: No such file or directory
Any suggestions ?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

I am not sure I totally understand your comments.
GELvdH wrote:I can login to onedrive but when I tried to sync it with mint it seems to not update the windows onedrive copy. I tried to install onedrive-d, it gets so far but it keeps giving me the following error when I tried to ./inst install bash: ./inst: No such file or directory Any suggestions ?
As I stated before, I used the rclone options for accessing OneDrive cloud storage. I have not used the Linux onedrive application yet.

As for the MS Windows OneDrive copy, if you mean that when you are in MS Windows, it does not see the updated content of your OneDrive cloud account, then that means you have to tell the MS Windows OneDrive sync client to sync.

FYI: When using a cloud storage provider's account, the data (files and folders) that have been uploaded or synced are stored in that cloud account. It is up to the various cloud access and sync clients on the various devices (computers, tablets, smartphones, etc...) and their operating systems (MS Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, etc...) to be activated and told to sync which may or may not be automatic. Some of these options we have been discussing are not sync clients, they provide access to your cloud account data so that you can manually view and use, add, remove, rename, copy and or move, folders and files, etc..., and the ones that have syncing capabilities may need to have that turned on and or configured.

Tip: If you have a browser open to your OneDrive account, you can easily see if your folders and files are being updated by refreshing that webpage after performing some form of update from either your Linux or MS Windows computers or any other device that has access to the cloud account.

Note of caution about syncing: I love the syncing aspect of cloud storage client applications because anything you add or do (user selectable) on one computer or device, like smartphone or tablet, automatically shows up on all other synced computers and devices. Example: You can take pictures or record videos or music, create new documents, or audio recordings, downloads, whatever you tell it, from your computer or smartphone or tablet and it will automatically be uploaded to your cloud account and then be available to all synced devices regardless of the computer or device's operating system. Using a cloud provider's sync client is a fast and easy way to transfer files and folders between any computer or smart device using any operating system, and it provides a backup of that data in case the device is stolen or broken or lost or fails to work anymore.

BUT, always keep in mind that if you have syncing enabled (turned on) and you delete something (folder or files) on your computer or on the cloud account or from any other device that is also syncing to that cloud account, it will remove that from all synced devices unless you configure it not to do that. Depending upon the cloud provider, you may be able to check its trash bin to recover accidentally deleted folders and files if you hurry because most will purge (delete permanently) their trash bin every so often. So, if you want to free up space on your smartphone or tablet or computer, copy or move or archive any synced folders and files (pictures, videos, music, audio recordings, documents, data, etc...) to another non-synced folder or drive on your computer or to a backup drive, or DVD's, BEFORE deleting them from your synced folders on your synced devices.

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

Okay, I just installed and tried the "onedrive" application from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". It is a console terminal application.

As you pointed out, you type in "onedrive" and it responds with a link to copy and paste into your browser to get a verification which it wants pasted back into the terminal (response uri), so I right-clicked that link and chose copy link, open a new browser tab and pasted it, follow the MS Login prompts, then it spawned a blank page for me which I did not know what to do with, but after many attempts, I just copied the spawned blank page's web address (url) into the waiting terminal request and that worked perfectly and automatically started syncing to my existing "OneDrive" folder.

As with most console terminal commands, I typed in "onedrive --help" to see what options are available.
onedrive --help
Usage: onedrive [OPTION]...

no option Sync and exit
--confdir Set the directory used to store the configuration files
--logout Logout the current user
-m --monitor Keep monitoring for local and remote changes
--print-token Print the access token, useful for debugging
--resync Forget the last saved state, perform a full sync
--syncdir Set the directory used to sync the files are synced
-v --verbose Print more details, useful for debugging
--version Print the version and exit
-h --help This help information.
First I checked what version of the Linux OneDrive application

onedrive -v
onedrive -v
Loading config ...
No config file found, using defaults
Initializing the OneDrive API ...
Opening the item database ...
All operations will be performed in: /home/user69/OneDrive
Initializing the Synchronization Engine ...
Applying differences ...
Uploading differences ...
43987D5E995C327D!101 root
The directory has not changed
Uploading new items ...
I brought up my online OneDrive account in a browser to verify that anything I am doing in that and or on my Linux computer are working together (syncing).

Then on my Linux computer using its file manager, I copied some files to each of my home folder's OneDrive folder and its default subfolders (Documents and Pictures), it did not automatically update the cloud.

I remember noticing that there is a "-m" monitor command flag option, so I ran that. This command leaves the console terminal window open; I think if you add an " &" to the end of the command it will release the console terminal for other tasks.

onedrive -m
or

onedrive -m &
And then my changes were automatically updated from the cloud and from my Linux computer. I also moved a file from the root folder from the browser's online OneDrive webpage to the Pictures subfolder it was reflected on my Linux system in a little bit, worked very well, nice.

I also noticed the "--print-token" command flag which is good for backing up this programs authorization token.

onedrive --print-token > onedrive_token.txt
My guess is that If I rebooted (restarted) my computer that this "onedrive -m" syncing monitor would stop and I would have to run the command again or add it to my startup programs. I would recommend adding a delay to this startup command to allow your system time to connect to your internet, maybe 15+ seconds.

FYI: In case you did not know, the superb "pCloud" offers 10gb of free space and an excellent free Linux client (you can pay for more space or encryption), "Mega.nz" offers 50gb of free encrypted space and an excellent free Linux client (you can pay for more space), and Google drive offers 15gb of free space (you can pay for more space) and they do not offer their Linux client, but you can access your account data by setting up your Gmail account(s) through the "online accounts" option in Linux Mint or using a 3rd party application like the excellent paid for "insync" client, "grive2", "overGrive", and other various options.

"Cryptomator" is a free application for encrypting your folders and files to and from your cloud account if the cloud provider's account does not already have encryption and you want that.

CloudCross - free multi-cloud - enables the synchronization of local files and directories across several cloud services.
CloudCross supports GoogleDrive, OneDrive, Dropbox, YandexDisk, and Mail.Ru clouds.
https://cloudcross.mastersoft24.ru/

Linux Mint 19.x CloudCross download link, save the 64-bit deb file and double click it to install it. There are versions for Linux Mint 18.x as well (64-bit and 32-bit)
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... _amd64.deb

The Top 5 Google Drive Clients for Linux
https://www.fossmint.com/best-google-dr ... for-linux/

Top 12 Best Google Drive Linux Client Software | UbuntuPIT
https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-12-best-g ... -software/

Cli Google Drive Client Grive2: How To Enable Automatic Synchronization - Linux Uprising Blog
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/c ... ow-to.html

Hope this helps ...
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I think I have tried to do too many installation types at the same time ( Software Manager, Synaptic Package Manager) . I am falling back and concentrate on one package, SPM and see where it goes from there. Thanks for the help, I will be in touch.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

You are welcome...
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

OK, I installed the onedrive from the SPM and everything seems to work as advertised. The next item will be to sync the Onedrive folder to the onedrive cloud. I am going to try the -m -& appendiges to the onedrive when I start it up next time. Again, thanks for the help.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

You are welcome again...

The "onedrive" software from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) seems to work well especially with the "-m" option.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

It looks like it is working, at the present it is syncing the onedrive cloud with onedrive folder on my system. Keeping my fingers crossed. :D
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

OK, I show the files on my mint system onedrive, which I uploaded on my Windows computer to onedrive, but when I update anyone of them on my Windows system the updated version does not show up on my mint systems and vise versa. :?:

Return to “Networking”