[SOLVED] Changing DNS stops access to Window 8 computer

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GF3

[SOLVED] Changing DNS stops access to Window 8 computer

Post by GF3 »

Hello.
When I change the DNS server settings on my Linux Mint 19.1 (XFCE) computer I can no longer access a shared folder on a Windows 8.1 PC on my home network. When I switch the IPV4 settings back to "AUTOMATIC (DHCP)" from "AUTOMATIC (DHCP) addresses only" - sharing works fine again but I am then back using my ISP's DNS. Any ideas how I can change my DNS resolver settings and still keep access to a shared folder on a Windows PC?
Many Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: Changing DNS stops access to Window 8 computer

Post by redlined »

hi GF3,

When you change your settings to "AUTOMATIC (DHCP) addresses only" are you also manually adding in the DNS server addresses you want to use and saving it and does this nonISP DNS show up in network settings (or network connections) for your adapter?
GF3

Post by GF3 »

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I manually input the DNS addresses and theses Non-isp addresses show up in "Connection Information". And when I check with https://ipleak.net/ and https://whoismydns.com/ the changes in the DNS servers are confirmed.
redlined

Post by redlined »

thanks for confirming that GF3, I have seen funnier things happen and didn't want to make any experience assumptions (just the fact I don't have much Linux experience, but am getting dangerous enough to fight my way thru a wetpaperbag level of issue :oops:

and really now I have come to end of my ideas, as I do simple sharing on local network, but not with windows computers which does add an issue with recent changes in samba that I am unfamiliar with commands used to set it right.

only other option I can think of is see if you router (if you have one) will allow setting DNS addresses to populate that info with what you want to use. Some ISP that provide modem/router combo to their customers make this difficult to set (comcast, for example :evil: but usually it is an option, basically router acts as dhcp server anyways, so telling it to use static DNS and Auto for address will give all the computers on your network that static DNS addy next time it reboots (or otherwise requests DHCP server for info). This option may or may not fix it as well, but it's not going to fix issues with samba and sharing between LM and Win8

ps. I see this is your 1st (and 2nd now;) post here, please allow me to extend community hand (or hug, if preferred:) and Welcome you to this mighty fine place known as Linux Mint forums!
GF3

Post by GF3 »

Many thanks, anyway, redlined.
I don't really want to mess with the router side of things. Other people on the home network use Windows, it's just me using Linux Mint. If I can't sort this out I will just stick with my ISP's DNS - it's not a big problem as everything else is working fine.
Thanks again.
GF3

Post by GF3 »

Hello, again.
Just thought I would post an update.
It turns out that the problem I was having with changing the DNS and not being able to access a folder on a Win8 computer on my network was down to the FIREWALL in Linux Mint. If I disable it I can then access the folder in Win8 after changing the DNS. Now the question is what is more important, having the firewall on or using a more privacy focused DNS?

Return to “Networking”