VPN on a router?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mojoneko

VPN on a router?

Post by Mojoneko »

I have an ASUS RTN66R N router that can be configured to run a VPN on the router. I was using Pure VPN with it but I set it up with the ASUS router utility on my win7 PC. My subscription with Pure VPN is ending in a month and I was planning on moving to a different VPN provider for multiple reasons...

Will I have to jump through a lot of hoops to set up my new VPN service on my router with Linux? I've only been using Linux Mint for a week now I'm not intimidated about using terminal commands but I'm not as familiar with it as I am command prompt in Windows.

If I just set up the VPN on the router using the ASUS router utility with my win7 computer will that cause any problems using my Linux PC with it?

Just wanted to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into before wading into the deep end. : )

I hope this isn't considered Hijacking the thread I'm still new to this.

Thanks! I love the Linux community! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: VPN on a router?

Post by Moem »

Mojoneko wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 pm I hope this isn't considered Hijacking the tread I'm still new to this.
It's a new question, and so it deserves a new topic, as per the forum rules. And I've just made it into one, so you're good. :wink:
This will also improve the visibility, because now you have a thread with a clearly defined title. That always helps.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mojoneko

Post by Mojoneko »

Thank You!
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I use a Synology RT2600AC Router and have Express VPN configured on it. My Mac Mini running Mint 19 Tessa, My iMac 27" running MacOSX and all my Apple iOS devices connect to the router without any problems. I've found that having VPN config'd directly on the router rather than on each individual machine makes life so much easier.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz

Return to “Networking”