Can not get wake on lan to work

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mxman47

Can not get wake on lan to work

Post by mxman47 »

Hello all,
I'm trying to get wake on lan to work but it seems like the OS is turning my NIC off when it powers down. I am running a self built system consisting of an Asus z270 maximus mobo with and intel 7700k and using the onboard NIC. I am running dual boot with windows 10 and Mint 19.
If I power the system down from windows the wake on lan works perfectly, however, when the system is shut down from mint the wake on lan does not work. I have tried everything I could find either searching this forum or through the internet search engines to get this to work but still have had no luck. Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can not get wake on lan to work

Post by all41 »

mxman47 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:51 pm Hello all,
I'm trying to get wake on lan to work but it seems like the OS is turning my NIC off when it powers down. I am running a self built system consisting of an Asus z270 maximus mobo with and intel 7700k and using the onboard NIC. I am running dual boot with windows 10 and Mint 19.
If I power the system down from windows the wake on lan works perfectly, however, when the system is shut down from mint the wake on lan does not work. I have tried everything I could find either searching this forum or through the internet search engines to get this to work but still have had no luck. Thank you for your time.
Hello mxman47,
Look in the repositories for a utility named 'powerwake'
That solved my issue of waking a remote system via lan.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
mxman47

Post by mxman47 »

Thank you for your input. I am not having a problem sending the "Magic Packet." I have verified that the packet is being broadcasted to my network. The problem seems to be that Linux Mint is turning the NIC off when it shuts the computer off.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

mxman47 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:42 pm Thank you for your input. I am not having a problem sending the "Magic Packet." I have verified that the packet is being broadcasted to my network. The problem seems to be that Linux Mint is turning the NIC off when it shuts the computer off.
It's been awhile--but I seem to recall that the magic packet gets hammered until a response
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
mxman47

Post by mxman47 »

I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and it works fine there. Maybe I'll try a fresh install of mint tomorrow.
mxman47

Post by mxman47 »

Still not working. Fresh mint 19 install. It is still shutting the network card off when the system powers down. Any ideas... I'm a noob when it comes to Linux. Thank you.

Return to “Networking”